Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Scalped Hen

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scalped Hen
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:04 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can offer some advice. My rooster attacked one of my hens last night....they are dark barred plymouth rocks. I found her this morning with all the feathers and most of the skin removed from the top and back of her head..she is a horrible horrible mess poor thing. I was going to put her down this morning but she was still on her feet and scratching around. She is currently inside in a dark quiet box...if she survives does anyone know what I can put on her head to stop infection that won't really sting? Her head and back of her neck is basically raw flesh with no skin.

Am assuming if the rooster has done this once he will do it again...is that correct? Should I organise a date with the axe?

Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: Scalped Hen
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 pm 
Golden Pekin
Golden Pekin

Poor hen....

Is the skin totally gone or it is still there but hanging on like a flap?

A fair few people have had this experience and hens often seem to come good. They can survive some pretty awful injuries..... Do a search for 'scalped hen' and see what you come up with. Some people have sewed the skin back together. Would that be psosible do you think?

I know that Rwood, Aussihen and Chicken07, to name a few, have had hens and/or chicks survive this so keep a particular look out for their posts on this subject.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:22 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Have a read through this thread. It explains what I did with the same problem: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7981367&hilit=suture

Feather Clubs Association of Qld

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:38 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Chooks can certainly survive some horrific injuries. One of our chooks was almost decapitated by a neighbours dog, my fiance being a vet nurse noticed blood was still flowing and a rise and fall in the chest. She decided to see if she could "put it back together" and amazingly she did!! the vets were very surprised and some were jealous. That chooks now called lucky! some of the feathers have grown back, and their is some scarring, but apart from that no ill affects and she's a happy chooky once more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:50 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

thanks for your replies. I did have a read through that post before I posted mine...my chicken has no skin left anywhere though that I can pull together...not even little bits. I have used honey on horses with open wounds before which has worked well so was wondering if I could coat her skinless bits with honey? Would a saline solution sting going onto bare skinless flesh?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:10 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

When I have cleaned out wounds like that I use slightly warm saline. I think the warmth helps. I don't think it hurts that much, although cleaning it under pressure using a syringe or similar probably does hurt a bit. I have used Bettadine in the past, but it's fairly drying for this type of injury. Savlon would probably be better.

I have had bad peck injuries that I haven't stitched up as well. Not as bad as the one in that other thread though. In the ones I haven't stitched up, it has still healed, although it takes a very, very long time. A scab will form to protect the area, but the skin has to grow in from the sides and it takes a while. In one case when I had a gosling with some exposed belly, I used a spray on skin which I had to replace every few days. That provides a protective coating that keeps bacteria out. If you use honey, I think manuka honey would be the best, although it could be very messy and would need fairly frequent replacing. I would just put Savlon on it each day, or use a spray-on skin.

It is true that chooks are amazingly resilient with these types of injuries. Be careful that no other birds peck at it.

Feather Clubs Association of Qld

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:24 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I had a pullet with similar injuries to the one on Chicken07's thread. In my case (having no stitching abilities) the wound was left open, and had very little treatment aside from me putting her in a small cage so I could check her frequently. As there were no signs of infection that's all I did. The skin amazingly grew together under the coating of a massive scab. Her wound would have been about an inch wide, the skin tending to slide down the neck (like a coupe soft-top roof being opened) so the wound tended to reopen a lot when she ate. Still, it came good on its own.
It probably depends on the bird's immune system and what caused the injury (mine was caused by sharp metal).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:37 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I had a indian runner who lost most of the skin and feathers from the underside of her neck after an eel attack, a horrible injury, thought she'd die for sure. Sprayed bettadine on it, twice a day, for a week, a couple of months later I could'nt pick her from the rest of the flock. So definitely do'nt give up on her.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:38 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I had a phoenix rooster who did this routinely with every new pullet or hen introduced to him, I posted on here for help and did everthing I could to stop him and change this behaviour. Sadly, nothing worked and he had a date with the axe. I also ended the misery of any birds that he had damaged at the time it happened, rather than trying to fix them. Someone did say to me that he may have been a confused rooster, confused about being a chook as he routinely diplayed his little kills to me and would sit like a little puppy in my hand . . he hated other chooks though!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:07 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

we had some young pullets in a seperate pen, somehow one jumped the fence into the older girls pen, and at dark went in a roosted with the older girls we had no idea she was in there and locked her in for the night. Morning came and i guess they had a part with her, we found her almost dead and with chunks out the neck and the scalp sounds much alike yours does. She had no skin left either. Took her inside in a box she went with a heated bottle once she warmed up she came back to life so to speak. Left her for quite a few hours, and only cleaned her wounds later that night several hours after the attck. We abthed her wounds with warm salt water, just drizzled it over all the wounds didnt try washing them all that much. Then we just packed the entire wounds with savlon cream. Did that morning and night for a week, she came really good after that so into a small cage she went out of the dirt though on her own, where we then cleaned her wounds just of a night and only applied savlon every second day after that to allow the wound to start drying out. She is now laying and doing really well, all she has is a small scab on the back of her head nothing more to show. We named that girl scabby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:32 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for your replies and feedback! It never ceases to amaze me how tough chooks are. My hen is still alive..have bathed her head and covered it in savlon. She is standing up today but when she tries to walk she falls over sideways..hopefully there is no permanent damage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:10 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

i would just like to say that i hope your little hen pulls through, she sounds like a real fighter!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:35 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

the hen that we had also wobbled and was off balance for a few weeks as well, i guess there would have been a balance issue when the ears are affected. Alike us its the inner ear that gives us balance and if something is going on we will quite often feel dizzy or wobble like a drunken motion. Give her time. ours did come good with time as the wound healed her balance improved. She walks perfectly normal now and has no side effetes from the attack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:42 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Go the Savlon - you might have seen my thread about Penny, who was attacked (fairly confident that it was by the resident lace monitor).

I thought she was a goner, but while she had the will to live I was happy to keep dressing the wounds daily, and she is almost completely 100% again now!! I will be posting updates soon. The wounds were horrific and I could see no way the skin could ever grow back over the exposed muscle, but it has. No treatment but keeping inside in a catbox, Savlon and one dose of Colloidal Silver into one of the deep wounds.

We have also had hens badly damaged by over-enthusiastic roosters, recover from horrible wounds. I always give them the chance, if chickens dont want to live, they die. If they want to live, then we give them every chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:31 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

We have just experienced the same problem with a Plymouth Rock hen. I think that the best thing for birds in shock is a few drops of "Bach's Rescue Remedy". I use this on wild birds that fly into my windows and end up stunned. I give them a few drops, and in a couple of minutes, off they fly again.
You can buy it from health food shops or chemists - it cost about $20 for 10ml, but it is worth it.
We gave our hen some of this a few hours after her scalping, and she was able to get up on her perch that night, and lay an egg the next day.
Another useful thing to have on hand is a jar of "Special Healers Ointment". It is amazing stuff for healing. You can get it online from http://www.cheekyherbs.com.au - a W.A. company that will post it to you - it is difficult to find in shops.
Our girl is eating well again and has put on weight, the injury still looks horrible, but is healing well, with no infection (we bathed the wound with salt water only).