Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Fowl Pox?? Pictures

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:18 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I moved my sussex 'babies' in with the original cross breed hens and rooster probably 8 weeks or so ago now, they are all almost 16 weeks and mostly way larger than the others being a larger breed.
Thing is, all this time and they are still getting picked on, they've all got sores on their combs, wattles from where the others peck them and even George, the rooster who is generally caring and protective of his girls - hasn't accepted them. Basically I have two seperate groups of hens, the originals forage with George, the sussex on their own. The pecking occurs mainly in the house that I can tell.
Perhaps it would help a bit if I got an additional feed station so that they can seperate up a bit when eating?

Okay - now out of curiosity I went and looked at the fowl pox sticky and these 'sores' that I thought were from pecking, actually look somewhat like pox. Can someone move this to medical centre?

I will go and try to take some pics for advice.....

SEE this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7989055 Mods could you perhaps join the two together?

Last edited by hennypenny on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:25 am 
Great Game
Great Game

I had that trouble with mine but it seemed to stop when I removed the fences and let them free range. I now have 10 chooks of mixed breeds, sizes and ages all living happily. There is bickering over tasty scraps but nothing like the bullying that went on before.

Have yours got enough space? A second feed station certainly couldn't hurt could it?

Edited - just noticed the pox thing, cant help with that. Good luck.

Last edited by greenfumb on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:28 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

At this stage I seem to have about four different flocks. Two of those are segregated by wire, so that's no surprise, but the Welsummers and the original hen rarely seem to willingly share space with each other. I plan to fence off a large area of the orchard and let them all loose together to see what happens. I suspect in those circumstances things will settle down a lot as the fences will reduce the options for straying far and wide, while the additional space will ensure that there is still room for escape from the madding crowd should the need arise ....

Post subject: Fowl Pox?? Pictures
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:44 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I started a thread about my chooks being pecked, I thought these were peck injuries until I looked a bit closer and did and A-Z search on pox.
Do you think it's pox?
In photos I took on the 6th March, if I look closely the corrie looks to have the beginnings of a lesion, so this should just about be run it's course soon? Is that right?
Any advice, anything I can do to help out the girls and one guy. All of my original flock have none, just these sussex, I wonder why?

Post subject: Re: Fowl Pox?? Pictures
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:25 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Yes it fowl pox on the birds in the photos. By the looks of it it the virus has just about run its course and the scabbing is ready to fall off. The good thing is hat these particualr birds will probably never get it again as they develop antibodies to the virus once they are exposed to it.

Its probable that your other birds had already been exposed at some tage and already have antibodies, which is why they didn't get it.

You dont need to do anything with the affected birds at this point - the scabs will just fall off.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:29 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Thanks Mike, I guess it's due to all the mossies after the tonns of rain hey?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:02 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Yes - it is the mozzies that transfer it it from bird to bird. However, its not that mozzies have fowl pox, its that the mozzies bite a chook somewhere along the line that does have fowl pox and carry the virus to the next chook they bite.

I wish it was easy to control mozzies. !!

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:34 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

must admit the photo of the thing in the food had me guessing. i still cannot see it to be a chook :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:00 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Haha! It is eating out of the top of the feeder and I took the photo from above!!