Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Treating lice with Moxidectin

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:50 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Hi all, I treated all my birds with Moxidectin plus in their drinking water a couple of days ago. They didnt drink alot over the 24 hours as its been fairly cool weather. How long does it take to kill the lice that are on the birds? I picked up one of my roosters to check him over today and found lice crawling around. I have bought some poultry dust today to put in the bedding straw as the pet shop didnt have any coopex or similair, just tiny bottles of spray you would use for caged birds. I just dont know if these lice I saw today are new ones that have come off the bedding or if the Moxi hasnt killed them yet. Thanks, Wendy :)

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:33 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Forget about moxidectin for lice. Theoretically it does kill them, but the dosage has to be very high. My vet tells me that Ivomec is good, but I prefer to use permethrin. It's reliable. I dip them, but you can spray them or use the pour on. Coopex is expensive to buy and it's just a weaker version of permethrin. Just get permethrin from the garden section of your hardware store. Look at the labels of the termite sprays. David Grays makes one. It's just a matter of putting some warm water in a bucket and putting some soap and the permethrin in, then dipping the birds and letting them dry.

Alternatively, if you have the dust there, dust the birds, not just the litter. What works. Just take care that you don't breathe in the dust while you're doing it. Do it in an open space. Some people like to use a mask.

Feather Clubs Association of Qld

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:42 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Thanks for that info Cathy, I will get it from the hardware store tomorrow. As well as the dust, I bought some permethrin spray for caged birds today. Im going to start doing them all in the morning with it. I dont think the 500ml bottle will go very far. :) Cheers, Wendy

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:49 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Buying permethrin specifically for birds seems to be more expensive. I buy David Grays Ant and Termite Spray in 500ml bottles. I think it costs about $23 and it last for a very long time. It isn't expensive at all. It's 100g/L so it's two and a half times the strength of Coopex. I just make that adjustment when I'm mixing it up.

Colin Walker uses a 40g/L product, but here's his dilution rate which can be easily converted.

Quote:
http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/Articles/parasite_poultry.html

Quote:
Permethrin is also the dip of choice in chickens. To prepare the dip, add the Permethrin at the same rate of 10 - 20 ml per litre of water and add also a wetting agent such as baby shampoo or a few shavings off a bar of soap. Ensure that the water is warm and dip the birds in the morning of a warm day so that they have a chance to dry before nightfall.

and ...

Dip all birds in Permethrin and any new introduced bird. Ensure that the pen is sprayed simultaneously.

Some have asked what concentration of permethrin he uses. He's very kindly given me the answer:

Quote:
Our permethrin is 40mg/ml. We suggest diluting this into water at a rate of 10-20 mls per litre.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:39 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Hi Cathy,

When you 'dip' the chicken... do you do the whole chook including the head.. or just the body below the neck?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:37 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Jo, I do as much as I can without getting any in its ears, eyes or beak. I wet the back of the head with my hand so the head doesn't have to go under. I like to get the neck area done pretty well as there are often lice eggs there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:56 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I got the David Grays this morning and dipped 10 chooks so far. Had to blowdry them all as the sun disappeared. :aaargh: That was a mission!! My back and shoulders are aching after all that :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:16 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yes, it is hard work, but it works. There is a 4-6 week residual, so you can often get away without a repeat dose for external parasites. It depends how bad things are and whether or not they get reinfested from the coop.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:26 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I should be free of lice and mites too! I ended up soaked :lol:
Can definately tell my 2 black Pekins have been bathed and blowdried for shows before. They just stood there and let me have my way with them. All the others, it took a few minutes or more to convince them that the blowdrier wasnt the enemy!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:02 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Chicken07 wrote:
Jo, I do as much as I can without getting any in its ears, eyes or beak. I wet the back of the head with my hand so the head doesn't have to go under. I like to get the neck area done pretty well as there are often lice eggs there.

Hi Cathy, could you please answer for me. what would be the minimum age would you do chicks with the Permethrin?
Thanking you Ron

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:42 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It would depend on the circumstances, Ron. I've never read anything specific. If I had very young chicks with lice I would use a dust as I'd prefer to avoid wetting them. Here I don't generally treat anything under 12 weeks for any parasites at all as they haven't got enough of them to make it necessary. From 12 weeks I would dip them on a warm day. You can probably do it younger quite safely, it's just that I haven't done it myself. In some cases it can be handy to put the diluted solution into a spray bottle and spray the bird. I have never noticed any ill effect on the birds after dipping.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:21 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Chicken07 wrote:
It would depend on the circumstances, Ron. I've never read anything specific. If I had very young chicks with lice I would use a dust as I'd prefer to avoid wetting them. Here I don't generally treat anything under 12 weeks for any parasites at all as they haven't got enough of them to make it necessary. From 12 weeks I would dip them on a warm day. You can probably do it younger quite safely, it's just that I haven't done it myself. In some cases it can be handy to put the diluted solution into a spray bottle and spray the bird. I have never noticed any ill effect on the birds after dipping.

Thanks Cathy, I would say that would be a good guide to go by.
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:12 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

The easiest way is to apply 3 drops of Frontline (dog flea control) to the back of the chicken's neck. This will clean up all your mites.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:58 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

hello, I am just about to do the permethrin dip and spray in our coop as we have had a shocking infestation of the mites this year. We have dusted and re-dusted and cleaned and changed all straw/etc in the pen so many times, so time to do the permethrin thing. I've had my birds for 5 yrs and we have never had this problem before.

My Question is .... Do we need to withhold eggs when doing this? as I think I might need to do and re-do this to exterminate these wee little beasties ?

Thank-you in advance for your help ! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:48 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I don't. Permethrin is something that is legal to spray around humans (fly spray), a version of it is in mosquito coils and we can put it all over the vegetable garden and the fruit trees.

Putting it on the outside of the birds is less likely to result in an egg residue than if the chickens ingest it, however there may be some small amount there. Small residues are not considered to be highly toxic to humans as they decompose rapidly in the body.

If you have concerns about it, then observe the conservative 2 week withholding. During that time you can feed the eggs back to the chickens. The residue would be incredibly minute anyway.