Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - newly hatched chic - swollen belly, shaking leg

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:12 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Newly hatched today, it struggled to get out of egg...took a long time.... The belly looks increasingly swollen and it looks like no poo poo can come out...... can the bottom be blocked? It wont stand, lies on its side, one leg curled up and claws all curled up..... belly looks pink, more pink than usual... everything else is intact and looks correct.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:28 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Poor little tike...its sad to think that after 21 days development...all the struggle to get out of the egg- and then not be strong enough to survive. Its doesnt sound good from what you have described- but I have found that some new hatchlings take a little longer than most to get started. I have had a duckling that was " clogged up" and sadly the little one didnt make it. It was perfect when it hatched but after after 36 hours slowly went down hill. It was too late by the time by the time I worked out what was wrong.

Keep your little one warm and comfortable- some vitamin powder in some water and a good rest may be all it needs- but also be prepared for the little one not to make it through the night.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:02 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

yay yay yay....found the problem.....

It was a very sticky chic..... lots of wet stuff and it rolled around after in shell and goop from the other hatchings, fluff got stuck together, so leg couldnt stretch neither could the arm...I had a good look and saw the problem and seperated the fluff, chic is now standing up straight.... it was being hindered by stuck fluff! Poor buggar.....I think it will come good! gave it a drink, was thirsty... staying in bator tonight until it gets strength up...transfer tomorrow to brooder along with the silkie chic..

Gawd, what a relief! :yipee:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:11 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

:lol: that is good news! Glad you didn't dispatch it. I hope it does well now.

NellyG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:17 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

i wasnt going to dispatch it, not yet...it looked fine apart from the side thing.... I just went to look and it was on its side again, but i did some chirping sounds and it hopped up....straight!

The silkie though looks to have a curled toe, so tomorrow morning I will do the cardboard and tape trick to this one also..... its the only black chook I got from this hatch, I've wanted silkies for so long! I am being given 9 buff silkie eggs this weekend, so cant wait for more beautiful babies!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:26 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

ok, update on last nights shaky chic....

She has improved dramatically.... its taken time.... she's managing to stand on her own and not fall sideways..... Ive given her water and some diluted berocca and she has had a nibble, i put her on the carpet and she walks towards you, chirping happily...I tried putting her with the others but they are more robust and peck at her, so she is fluffing up n the bator...by herself..... but I tend to her very often.... she is my trooper!

I think she will be the weak one of the lot, but I always go for the underdog.... she is from a silkie dad and a normal h1 (i think thats what hte lady said) mum, but all white! Dont quote me!

cheers, Rita

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:57 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

what a trooper, doing everything right, mucking in with the other chics.....Im soooo pleased!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:21 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Great news about the chick the chick Rita.
I have to ask though has it got one or two arms :shock:
ritaz1964 wrote:

It was a very sticky chic..... lots of wet stuff and it rolled around after in shell and goop from the other hatchings, fluff got stuck together, so leg couldnt stretch neither could the arm...I

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:06 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

hahahaha...yes!! :thumbs: I meant only one arm was stuck, the other was FREEEEEEEE!

Rita