Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - bumblefoot??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bumblefoot??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:41 am 
Day old Chick
Day old Chick

I have been taking care of an orphaned pacific black duck, and have noticed little sores under his feet. He does not appear to be in any pain whatsoever, but I am concerned it might be bumblefoot. Two nights ago I also noticed a dark mark on his beak, I thought it was a bit of food, but is still there today and on closer inspection, I think it is a lesion of some kind. He has not been with any other ducks or animals, and has been mostly inside. I have had him for five and a half weeks, and I'd guess he was only a couple of days old when I got him.
I am trying to post images, does this sound familiar to anyone? Any help would be much appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: bumblefoot??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:01 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

I think we really need to see the images before making a comment as it also involves the beak.

Go to the technical section and there is step by step instructions on posting an image - its easy really but your images need to be in a .jpg format (most are anyway) and each under 200 kb.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:57 am 
Day old Chick
Day old Chick

Thanks, will do that this afternoon. I have spoken to a vet and described what is going on, and he has suggested bathing in copper sulphate. Do you think that's a good idea? And could I also put that on the spot on his beak maybe with a cotton tip? He thinks it may sound like a bacterial infection of some kind. Cheers :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

He probably is thinking of a fungal infection and yes follow the vets advice. Do post a photo when you can as the vet hasn't seen the spots either and he is being guarded in this comments.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:02 pm 
Day old Chick
Day old Chick

This is his beak, this spot appeared a couple of days ago, probably about two weeks after I first noticed that his feet were looking a bit funny.

[url=http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/showphoto.php

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:07 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It doesn't look like bumblefoot.

Maybe a fungal infection.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:14 pm 
Day old Chick
Day old Chick

This is his foot, this is the same on both feet, and seems to cause no pain, he doesn't pay them any attention whatsoever. He is walking fine, eating, drinking and still being the happy little duck that I have come to know.
I have spoken to a vet on the phone, who recommended that I bathe his feet in copper sulphate - I have bought some in powder form, but have no idea what ratio to mix it, and am not game to just guess. Anyone have any ideas? Or suggestions after seeing these pictures?

This is his beak, obviously my first attempt at posting this picture didn't work!

I just want to get onto some kind of treatment asap, the vet won't be visiting for another week.
Thanks for looking.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:47 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I use Betadine for anything that looks fungal, so I can't offer any personal experience with copper sulphate.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:52 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Hi

I also think its a fungal infection. Copper sulphate solution is used extensively to treat fungal infections in fish in aquariums. it does work. So does betadine solution and so do some of the over the counter fungal creams typically used for candida and tinea.

A feature of a fungal infection is that it is slow to grow and equally its slow to cure. A vet who has a microscope can quickly and effectively do a scraping and examine it for fungal strands. They can aso prescribe medications which are extremely effective against fungi but they are strictly prescription only.

So - copper sulphate, betadine and or a fungal cream are the first things to try. Dont use all three at once though

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:24 am 
Day old Chick
Day old Chick

Thankyou all so SO much for your speedy responses, it's a great help, and I will keep you posted on his progress.
Thanks again, I can now relax and stop thinking about trying to do surgery on my duck!
Kylie