Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - coccidiosis in young chooks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:14 am 
Week Old duckling
Week Old duckling

I have tried to fill out check list but it is locked.
I've got 20 pullets at 12 weeks with coccidiosis (confirmed by vet) He gave me Baycox to use for two days then stop then if more blood in poop use again. He said I should see no blood after the first dose but ghis morning their was two chickens with blood still in their poop. Should I give the Baycox back to them now or wait till the five day b reak. The vet says the stuff is very strong. I can't get hold of vet till tomorrow. I am very frustrated. I keep the pens very clean. Clean there water drinkers every day and put fresh water in. The chooks get to run out on the lawn every day too so they are not locked up all the time and there pen is 2 metres by 6 metres. What should I do. The chooks are bantam langshans. Help

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:44 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hi,

The checklist is always locked. You copy the questions and paste them into a post here.

The vet isn't right when he says that you don't see any blood after the first dose of Baycox or any other medication. The Baycox deals with the parasite, but doesn't repair damage that is already done. Depending on the severity of the damage to the intestinal lining, you may see some reducing amounts of blood or shedding tissue for a few days. You would hope to not be seeing the fresh red blood of a severe active infection.

Have you given the first two doses two days apart? If you have I would now wait the five days. You should make sure that they are in a completely clean and dry environment. If they aren't responding quickly I wouldn't let them go and run on damp grass. They will be picking up more oocysts and increasing their parasite load. I find it best to keep them in a completely covered area where there is no chance of dew to moisten things. Keep on with the cleaning of drinkers. Make sure there is no spillage of water drinkers into the litter at all.

Did you give the Baycox directly to each bird in a single dose, or is it in the drinking water? If it's in the water, have you seen them drinking it?

You could post some pictures of their droppings and of their posture in here if you want second opinions.

Call your vet tomorrow if you have concerns, but don't give them more Baycox today if they have already been medicated. Wait the five days and watch how they go.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:10 am 
Week Old duckling
Week Old duckling

Thanks for your reply. I will wait the 5 days. In the meantime what do you suggest is a good feed for them to help them to get better. I feed them Barastock Pullet Grower pellets and I throw them some wheat once a day. I also give them a bit of lucerne hay which I grow. It this alright to give them this. Should I givethem some sort of vitamin too. I want them to grow healthy now if they are not sick any more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:23 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I would keep them on the Barastock Pullet Grower and just the medicated water for the period of treatment. You can give vitamins after medication such as Baycox, but not at the same time.

After a few days I would go back to the Puller Grower, a little lucerne hay if you wish, keep wheat to a small amount for a treat in the evening if you wish. Pullet Grower is a complete feed and they don't needs extras, but teaching them to eat a few grains and giving them some lucerne which is high in protein and vitamins is fine. Just don't overdo it. You don't want them to be filling up on wheat. You want the majority of their diet to be the pullet grower.

How do they look this morning?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:11 pm 
Week Old duckling
Week Old duckling

They all look pretty good except for one who is a little bit miserable looking. Should I give her a bit of a dose? I only give the wheat to them to have a bit of a scratch around but I will cut down a bit. I think I might be givingthem too much.