Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Lack-lustre hen

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lack-lustre hen
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:04 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm concerned about 1 of my girls, sorry no photos but there is really nothing to see.
Age - 2and a half years, Breed - Isa, Sex - F, Region - Nthn NSW Byron Shire,
What is wrong - Blondie is usually very brisk and perky, yesterday morning she appeared hunched. By the afternoon she seemed ok but seemed docile aand slow. Her eyes are normal, her comb is the usual colour. Today she is the same, unusually quiet and not as hungry as usual. If anyone else saw her they probably wouldn't notice anything.
Droppings - small and white, Energy levels - low.
Worming - 3 weeks ago, Piperazine 1tspn in 500ml water between 4 chooks. No other medications.
Food - Darling Downs layer mash - fresh bag, scraps, rolled oats, corn on the cob, free range around the garden about 1 hour per day.
Rest of the chooks (3) are fine although we used to get 3 eggs a day but are down to 1 or 2 per day.
There are probably lots of sicknesses with the same beginning symptoms of unusual low energy but maybe someone has some suggestions. Thankyou, Celia

Post subject: Re: Lack-lustre hen
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:30 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Note to self : I have just read a few posts about hens with mites and I know that my hens have them. Could my chook be anaemic? And apart from dusting with Pestene which will happen tomorrow, is there anything I can feed them?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:37 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Yes canned cat food - lots of essential fats and oils as well as rich in vitamins - its a great poultry pickme up

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:34 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Heat can also affect chooks and I think it's been hot in your region lately? Make sure they've got plenty of water and cool places to sit.

I also have to gently say that ISA Browns at 2.5 years of age _can_ start developing reproductive issues, just due to the breed they are - that is, bred to lay an egg a day for 18 months solid, and then drop quite dramatically, often getting unwell. In a backyard situation it's not as bad but all that laying without a break takes it out of them.

I'm not suggesting for a second that this is the beginning of such illness, but it's something to bear in mind over the next 12 months or so.

For the moment, definitely get dusting and clean out their areas to remove the mites - there are lots of recent posts about the horrible little blighters - and get them a nice big protein hit to counteract the aenemia.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:56 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for your info, I didnt know about Isas' reproductive problems but you have solved a query I had about my other Isa who laid enormous eggs for a while before she started to lay eggs without the hard shell. She would look very hunched and sick before she passed it. Now she doesnt lay at all but does look happier! I'll get the cat food tomorrow. Thanks again.