Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Pox in OEG bantams

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pox in OEG bantams
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:57 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

We have just discovered one of the roosters with pox scabs all over his head and thanks to the information in the Medical Centre on BYP, we realised straight away what was wrong. We are very puzzled as to how he would have got it, he i s 15 months old, in a cage with 6 females only, and we don't have mosquitos at the moment. We found 2 other females a few days ago with the same symptons and immediately seperated them, not knowing what was wrong with them either but they have never mixed with this particular rooster. We will wash his head and bathe with betadine and give him the rickets diet but I think I will take him to the vet for antibiotics as well. However its very puzzling as to how he got it and now are worried that the females he is with who are show birds will come down with it too.

Post subject: Re: Pox in OEG bantams
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:45 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

It can be passed from bird to bird but commonly its passed by mosquitoes. It has two forms, wet pox and dry pox as you probably found out from your readings and it sounds like your birds have the dry form which is the lesser.

If one bird has it then all of the rest are at risk of getting it even if they are separated. There is a good side to it though. The scabs will soon fall off (particularly with betadine applications) and then the birds will be immune for life.

I dont see a need for antibiotics as antibiotics only work against bacteria and the fowl pox is a virus. However, the vet will assess your birds and prescribe if necessary.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:36 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

As Mike said, its likely that they'll all get it, have poxes for a week or two, then they'll be as good as new. Supportive care while they are sick is a good plan, but it sounds like you're onto that already.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:47 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

chookboy you are not alone.Rampant here at present a lot of people who I talk too have it due to those rotten mosquitoes and all the rain we have had.
You may not have mosquitoes now although I would think you still do but you did have them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:01 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

thank you for your advice and help, and yes we probably have had mosquitos and just not realised how bad they are, we live behind a reserve with a couple of wetlands so its pretty obvious we would have them! If everyone gets it though, do we need to seperate each and every one of them? Also we have some baytril at home from a bird that had CRD, could we use that if we think the rooster is getting respiratory problems?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:11 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have an outbreak at the moment too. I have split the group to see which product works best, first group are getting a salve containing Sulphur, Castor Oil and Neem that I use for leg mites which is working well and seems to offer a huge relief to the birds, the second group are getting an equine healing salve containing beeswax, tree resin and Manuka oil. I will see which works best. Both are easy to paint on with a makeup brush when they are at room temperature, the chooks go off into bliss mode, I guess it's like a facial :-) I have one stray bird who roosts in a tree and by the time I got close to him his face was a real mess so I am putting Pasternoint for horse mud fever on the bad scabs and half have fallen off already, mud fever is a virus so I figured it could work for the pox virus. None of these products seem to run into and hurt the eyes although I am very careful not to get it in them which is easy with the makeup brush. I find the salves work better than the betadine as they keep the scaps moist and supple, maybe both could be used.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:54 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

mudfever ointment sounds good - will try that. I assume I can get it at stock feed places - thanks for the tip!