Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Can chicks die of fright?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:24 pm 
Clucky Hen
Clucky Hen

I have two chickens roaming around in the backyard with chicks. The chicks are pekins and are 3 weeks old.

They were fine when I went out (just to pick up the kids from school) and when I came home i could not see all of them. On closer inspection I found three of them, one dead, one very close to dead and the other laying down spewing clear liquid from its mouth and breathing hard. I scooped them up and took them inside and put them in the brooder. They were all dead with in half an hour.

None of them had ever shown signs of being sick at all. 2 were from one hatch and the other from a different hatch, all 3 weeks old.

There is no chance of eating anything they should not have either.

Could they have died of fright from a scare? There are magpies around but I have never seen them attach the chickens.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:10 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

I would doubt fright - shock, yes following an attack but you would see signs of injury. A dog or a cat chasing them until they drop would would induce enough exhaustion and shock to kill them but you would see evidence of feathers lying around.

Its more likely something they have eaten. Mouse baits, snail poison etc etc. I wouldn't be a snake at this time of year and a snake wouldn't just kill and leave.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:04 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

i think that they could die from fright..............its very stressful for them.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:59 pm 
Clucky Hen
Clucky Hen

I am on 10 acres so no chance of a strange cat or dog, I use the 'backyard' as the baby area because it is safe, there is nothing they could of eaten, No mouse baits or snail poison etc.

Could it have possible been a crow? But with no evidence of attack and I would have thought a crow would just start ripping into them besides Jasper (the dog) is on guard. before anyone suggests the dog, no definitely not him. He lets them jump all over him, he has been around them his whole life and i trust him 100%

I may never find out what happened to them. It's just so very sad. I have never lost chicks before, not at that age.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:59 pm 
Wise Gobbler
Wise Gobbler

Sorry for your loss. It is worth doing an autopsy? Maybe it is something they have eaten in the garden thats toxic? :grouphug:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:57 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

chook crazy wrote:
Could it have possible been a crow?
I've had a crow attack a bantam wyandotte pullet that was almost to point of lay (luckily I arrived just in time)...so at 3 weeks the little buggers wouldn't stand a chance although a crow would fly off with them perhaps.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:01 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

No - a crow has no mechanisms in its feet or beak to carry off anything but small morsels. If it attacks and kills it basically devours the prey where where it lies.

Crows will attack and kill chooks but there are signs of attack - everywhere.

Something else has killed these chickens

Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:56 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Crows carry off eggs - I have seen them, so they could carry off a young chicken. But I agree with Mike - this doesn't sound like an attack of any kind to me.

NellyG