Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sore eye chicken

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sore eye chicken
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:35 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi, i have a chicken with a sore eye. Shes about 2 years old. Very healthy and eating etc without any problems. She started to close her eye and then it got worse. We used eye drops and washed it with a mild salt water solution and removed the bit of gunk it had every day. Now, about 2 weeks on, her eye seems swollen and very white that she is having a little trouble closing her eye lid.
I've been told that shes injured it and will most likely go blind in that eye, in which i think would have happened by now, but im still concerned. I got some chemical off the breeder to put in the water and was told not to eat the eggs which we have done for a week. She layed her first egg today after being off season for a while.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Post subject: Re: Sore eye chicken
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:19 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Hi

I looked this last night but was too tired to think sensibly on it. Clearly the eye is not normal but I cant tell from the photo if the eye is damaged or just cloudy from an infection.

If it is damaged by being pecked, catching it on some sire or a tree branch then what you see is permanent. It will heal in time to show dry scars but the function of the eye will be gone. Animals do lose an eye from time to time and they learn to cope quite well.

If it is an infection (similar to the human conjunctivitis) hen it needs to be treated before it badly scars the outer lining of the eye. Ideally it needs antibiotic eye drops or at worst the terramycin pink eye spray from a produce store. Tryyour pharmacy first for antibiotic eye drops.

I simply cant see clearly enough from the photographs to be able to tell for sure. I can tell you its not a sinus infection as the eye socket is not hugely swollen.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:03 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I can't really tell from the photo, is it her third eyelid pulled up across protecting the eye? That's what it looks like to me.
I agree with Mike, it doesn't look like a typical swollen eye from a sinus infection.
I would try bathing it in saline at first. Perhaps if it is the third eyelid across, it might come down so you can see what is going on behind it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:30 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

What you are seeing is the total eye itself not a nice sight and yes she will be blind if it is what I have seen in the past.
Usually the result of an respiratory infection can be an injury,I would be guessing at the antibiotic you where given but hopefully it has stopped further infection developing elsewhere.
Any undue pressure on this to remove it may result in the total eye coming away from the socket can result in other problems.
Bathe it keep with the antibiotics and hope that I am wrong, but if I am right it will scab over she will not see but will happily lay lots of eggs and have a nice life even with a disability.