Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What is wrong with this wing?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:42 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

This is an 8 week old runner duck (actually probably a drake)
The wings were normal when it was younger, but began to go like this when the feathers grew. The other wing was a bit like is too but has fixed itself, but this wing is getting worse as the bird grows

what is wrong with it?

thanks, Allison

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:22 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Angel wing? Can't see really well on mobile device

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:26 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

That is angel wing, there is much debate on what causes it , some poeple suggest its an injury , others suggest is genetic other( the reason I support) is the bird was fed on to higher protein when growing......
There are methods that can correct it , but it's tricky , your bird isn't in pain , you won't be able to show him!

Cheers
Gerald

One bite at a time , or you will get a sore belly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:40 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Definitely angel wing or 'slipped wing'.

The feathers (which are very heavy at the stage of development) cause the wing to tip out. If left without treatment the bird's equivalent of the wrist joint fuses in the twisted position and the bird will always have these 'sticking out' flight feathers.

Your bird is probably young enough to correct the problem.

To address it you need to fold the wing into the normal position and tape it closed using something the bird can't remove. You can try masking tape, medical sticky paper tape or elastoplast (very hard for the bird to remove but also hard for you to remove!). When you fold the wing make sure the growing flight feathers (the big feathers that are tipping out) are folded so they are the part of the wing closet to the body (i.e. between the body and the 'elbow'). Examine how a normal duck folds its wing and copy that.

Here is a pic that gives you a bit of an idea of how to tape (using elastoplast). This bird is younger than yours - about 5-6 weeks. Some people tape the wing to the body but I think it's better to tape the wing shut, to allow the bird to still flap it:

Keep the tape on for a week, then remove and allow the bird a few hours of exercise without the tape. The bird won't be able to open up the wing properly as it'll be stiff - don't worry about that (it's only temporary). If the wing shows any sign of not being 100% normal then put the tape back on for another week. You might need to do it for a couple of weeks or even more in total. If it's not fixed after a month then I'd forget it and let the bird get on with its life.

As Chooky2005 says, a number of things are thought to cause angel wing - e.g. genetics, excessive protein after 3 weeks of age, insufficient space and exercise (especially swimming followed by flapping and preening) to allow the birds to develop strong wing muscles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:54 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I use duck tape :biggrin: well ok, I think it is called duct tape.
I have had a few over the years with angel wing, I tried several different tapes on the first one, all were removed by the duck within a day until I used duct tape. I tried bandaging also, all around the body holding the wing to the body and also just the wing to itself but that wasn't successful for me either.
I do find it a bit fiddly and time consuming when it is time to remove the duct tape, (I am sure there would be better tapes to use but that is just what I have on hand and the ducks don't seem to able to get it off). I use a pair of scissors to trim any of the more stuck feathers rather than causing the duck pain by pulling them. It is only the little feathers top and bottom of the wing that you will need to trim a little off, not the main flight feathers, and afterwards you really can't notice much difference.
I had one recently with angel wing and grabbed a quick few photos of it. This bird would have been older than yours (the wing feathers are much more developed), I probably should have taped it a little sooner than I did.
The tape was left on for around 2 weeks (but I have read to remove after a week and see how it is then).
If I have another with angel wing I think I might cut the tape to half it's thickness or less and do the 2 thin bands like in 70%cocoa's photo.

I would definitely tape your little ones wing asap.

This next photo isn't going to help you any but seeming though the topic is on angel wing I'll put it up anyway.
Apologies for the horrible condition of the pen, photo was taken during heavy flooding.
I thought this duck had angel wing, which is why I took the photo, hoping to do a before and after shot of taping to fix the angel wing. Her hatch mates all had their wings sitting against their bodies as per normal, hers stuck out very noticably at this stage and even more so over the next week or so as the feathers got bigger and heavier. I never taped the wings as by the time I was ready to do it they looked to be improving. They returned to almost normal by themselves. I say almost normal because although they are in the right positions with no outward turning wingtips, they do hang down just slightly more than they should.

I was very surprised to see her improving on her own, I would have sworn that without taping she would end up looking quite bad with angel wing.
Not trying to talk anyone out of taping just though it was interesting. I have one adult duck here which I taped but I had left it too late to fix her and her wing sticks out and looks unsightly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:17 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

We acquired a mature goose with angel wing.

Chooky2005 - when you say the bird isn't in pain, do you think it hurts them when their angel wing feathers brush against things like gate posts, or when other birds bump them? She seems to sometimes flinch when this happens. Her wings stick out far more than the ducks shown here. Will try to get a photo.

Cheers

Narelle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:26 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

thanks for all the replies, in particular 70%cocoa and Booth, the photos were so helpful. Couldn't find any 'duck' tape or elastoplast, so used some black aldi stuff which may work, lots of rain forecast here during the next 24 hours so it might come off but...
at least it matches his plumage

Allison

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Hee hee - looks very classy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:57 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

crazyanimalchick wrote:
We acquired a mature goose with angel wing.

Chooky2005 - when you say the bird isn't in pain, do you think it hurts them when their angel wing feathers brush against things like gate posts, or when other birds bump them? She seems to sometimes flinch when this happens. Her wings stick out far more than the ducks shown here. Will try to get a photo.

Cheers

Narelle

One of my ducks has angel wing. I just cut the ends of to lessen the risk of it being caught when she walks through her coop door etc. Seems to have done the trick!