Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Fenugreek tonic - miraculous recovery!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:26 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Linz wrote:
I give my birds a blend of (all powdered) Ginger, Fenugreek, Tumeric, Aniseed and Mustard). I mix equal quantities of the herbs/spice together with some wholemeal flour to suspend the spices and add about 1/2-3/4 teaspoon of that blend to their morning mash. They love it and glow with health. My young stock get it from the moment they're off chick starter right through their laying lives. My hens and pullets thrive on it regardless of the weather conditions.

The mixture is a home made mock-up of the ingredients in the British product "Poultry Spice" made by the Battles Group. My parents used this on their flock of Light Sussex layers in the UK just after WWII and brought the habit to OZ when they emigrated.

I've added Mustard to the mix here after reading that it also does great things for the birds. I've only added Mustard recently so I have no conclusive results yet to speak of. It does look promising though...

For anyone wanting to do this themselves, I buy the spice listed above from Ebay as the prices for Kilo sized lots are very inexpensive.

Cheers all,

Linz :)

Linz, can you share how much whole meal you add to the spice mix, is one equal part enought?