Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Squishy Eggs!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Squishy Eggs!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:56 pm 
Day old Chick
Day old Chick

Hello and thanks for reading my question.

My chicken has something strange about her! About once a week, my dad and I find a soft shelled egg in the chook pen, and not the laying box. This makes me think. Is this a kind of chicken diarrhoea? :bolt: To the point the chicken can't hold on to the slippery egg and it kind of falls out? Can you tell me anything you know on the subject, and how to prevent it? I'm very certain it is only one chicken.

chooks_love_corn
:thanks:

Post subject: Re: Squishy Eggs!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It sounds like your chicken is laying eggs that don't have shells on them. This can happen when they get to the end of a laying season and are a bit worn out. It can also happen if there is something wrong in the reproductive system such as an infection or also if they aren't getting enough calcium or vitamin D in their diet.

Are you feeding them on laying pellets? It might help to also give her a calcium supplement and make sure there is shell grit available in the pen for them.

You can buy calcium supplements from the produce stores, but you can also buy them online. One brandname is Calcivet. It's also good to make sure that your calcium supplement has vitamin D3 in it also. Most of them do. Another source of vitamin D is cod liver oil and some chicken keepers give a spoon of that in a mash once a week to boost the Vit D intake.

Does she have any sort of smelly discharge or look sick? What are her droppings like? The problem with squishy eggs is that they are very hard for the bird to lay and sometimes they get infections or problems or it could even be caused by an infection to start with. If you are a person who takes chickens to the vet it would be good to get her checked over. If not, try the calcium supplement first and see if there is any improvement. If it doesn't help, there are some other things you can try.

If you have a photo of her at the moment, post it on here for us so we can see her posture and general demeanour.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 pm 
Day old Chick
Day old Chick

It's OK, I'm veeeeeeery certain she's as fit as a fiddle. I dare say she may be reaching her laying period stop, however I will give all of them some cod liver oil and shell grit (not mixed together :lol: ) and see what happens. Worst comes to worst, I will take her to the vet to have her checked over. But above all,
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
for replying.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:49 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

She might also just be getting the hang of laying. :)

We had a few soft-shelled eggs when our hens first matured - then something in their reproductive systems kicked in and now the eggs are perfect.

Calcigrit doesn't go astray though - and the chooks will self-medicate and eat as much as they need.

Good luck!

:wee One VERY patient husband, two beautiful little girls, 2 lovely beagle cross dogs, two adorable bantam crosses: Dora and Diva, a Wyandotte X called Dot and RIR cross called Daisy ** If you think my hands are full - you should see my heart!**

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:37 pm 
Week Old duckling
Week Old duckling

Hi.

I have had runs of this problem below the roost, mainly from my isa brown. It has just stopped of its own accord although she then carried on to lay only very soft shelled eggs for an extended time. Thankfully she has now gone off the lay and her system is hopefully restoring itself. I will never buy another isa brown though as have had no such problems from my Wellsummers, Australops and Light Sussexs. Good luck