Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Ivermectin injectable dosage?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:53 pm 
Clucky Hen
Clucky Hen

I have spent a lot of time searching for the dosage for the injectable Ivermectin but seem to only be able to find for the drench and the pour on. I thought it was quite reasonably priced with a long shelf life so am hoping I can use it.

I have 10mg/ml Ivermectin antiparasitic injection for Cattle and Pigs and would like to use it on my chickens.

Can I use it in water (my preferred method) and if so how much?

Thankyou in advance Judy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 am 
Clucky Hen
Clucky Hen

Hi, I am no expert but i doubt that you would be able to use it in water.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:39 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

I dont know the dosage rate either for injectable either sorry. Ring a vet and get them to work it out however they will need to know the average weight of your birds to work it out. Also they need to know that poultry have a higher metabolic rate than mammals and therefore need a higher dose BUT any of the mectins can become toxic at too high a dose.

Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:29 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

sbred wrote:
I have spent a lot of time searching for the dosage for the injectable Ivermectin but seem to only be able to find for the drench and the pour on. I thought it was quite reasonably priced with a long shelf life so am hoping I can use it.

I have 10mg/ml Ivermectin antiparasitic injection for Cattle and Pigs and would like to use it on my chickens.

Can I use it in water (my preferred method) and if so how much?

Thankyou in advance Judy

If you don't want to inject it, you would be better off putting it on the skin of the bird rather than in the drinking water.

The problem with using preparations formulated for large animals is that it is difficult to measure very small quantities accurately. When used for birds, this is usually diluted using propylene glycol (depending on your product), so that it can be measured carefully in a larger volume.

The dosages given for birds vary depending on species but the general bird doses given range from 200 mcg/kg to 220 mcg/kg. I'd use 200 mcg/kg and err on the high side when measuring it.

Interestingly, ivermectin is prescribed for humans at that same rate. I've noticed it is one of those medications where the higher metabolism of birds isn't reflected in the dose. It depends what condition is being treated, of course. I don't know the reason for this difference. Perhaps if there is a pharmacist on the board they could explain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Have a look at this

***OPTION 4 INFORMATION ON #2&#3
CURTIS GEARY" <chgeary426@yahoo.com>
Question on Ivermec 1%

I will try to answer your questions as fully as I can. Since we are using ivermectin in an off-label fashion, first I need to say the birds being given ivermectin should not be used for food and the eggs should not be eaten. I am only saying this because I am a veterinarian and this is an off-label use and I am not aware of any controlled studies on the subject of withdrawal times. So for legal and safety reasons don't cull and eat these birds.

However, we eat beef, chicken, pork, etc. everyday that had previously been given ivermectin, but established withdrawal times have been (or should have been) followed. The information that is to follow is from my own personal experience and is not substantiated in any scientific journals as far as I know and is purely for informational use. (That's the end of my little legal/safety speech).

**INFORMATION 5
What can happen if too much ivermectin is given? Well, so far I haven't seen an overdose of ivermectin in chickens, however I will extrapolate from other species. Most of the signs have to deal with the neurologic (nervous) system and occasionally involve the digestive system.

In the dogs that I have seen, in mild cases the dogs just act like they are "drunk". They stumble, have difficulty standing up and usually can't walk a straight line. The moderate cases have this plus sometimes have blindness. Both of these cases usually resolve in 3-5 days with just some supportive care. The most severe case that I have seen was a 6 month old black lab puppy that ate the entire dose for a 1,000 pound horse after the horse spit out the wormer on the ground. It was comatose for 23 days, blind for another 10 days and is normal today (2 years later). So the overdose effects can vary, usually very dramatic, but usually resolve. However, death can occur with an overdose.

***OPTION 6
I like the 1% injectable form because I can draw up exactly 0.1 ml and give it in the breast muscle or by mouth. I also like it because I know that the ivermectin is then getting into the bloodstream.

From other studies we know that ivermectin is absorbed into the bloodstream from the digestive tract. With the 5% oil based solution, it was made to be absorbed through the skin of cattle that has a fatty layer, oil glands, haired skin, sweat glands, etc. and this is totally different than poultry. I am not saying if it works or not. I've never tried it, for those reasons.

**OPTION 7
the dosages that you have listed look like they would be a good starting point. I would first try them on some culls rather than your best birds and if it works then continue with it. Since chickens have an oil gland near the tail the ivermectin may accumulate there and last longer than the injectable form, I really don't think (but don't know) if it is going to hang around on the body for 6 weeks though. I would be interested to know of anyone else's experiences though.

*** OPTION 8
here are two chicken friends who use 1% injectable in the drinking water they do raise a lot of birds so they must know

Iona wrote:
I leave treated water (4 cc per gallon of water) in the coops for 2 days. It is the only water so everyone drinks. I change the water mixture every day and more often if it gets dirty. There is a great margin for safety when using ivermectin so I don't worry about a bird over dosing on it. I have been using injectable ivermectin mixed with drinking water for 5 years now and have never had a problem.

Gail wrote
I use the injectable 1 % solution mixed at 8 cc. per gallon of water to treat canaries for air sac mites and to worm chickens, budgies, canaries, cockatiels, etc. I take their water away the night before and use this solution as the only source of water for 24 hours.

It is important to treat again in 10 days to get all the mites that have hatched out since the treatment BEFORE they can lay eggs again. For scaly face/leg mites I treat the birds at least four times.

Hopefully this information can help you decide how to worm with Ivermectin. I have studied this topic for several yrs now and do believe it is safe

Glenda L Heywood Brookings SD
frizzlebird7@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:28 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks Macl27. I've seen that text quoted on lots of poultry sites. I thought it was uncharacteristic of a vet to be going on anecdotal comments from poultry breeders. We know that poultry breeders will swear to the efficacy and safety of just about anything. :lol:

I know that in some cases (eg. small birds like canaries) that some forms of injectable ivermectin are given in the drinking water. For that purpose the doses I have are different (quite a lot higher) and it would not be my preferred method as I have been told that Ivermectin settles out in water. I wouldn't be confident that it was effective, especially after two days. I am not a vet, however, so I err on the side of caution.

edit: Actually, it looks like the vet advice may be limited to just the disclaimer at the top - OPTION 4. That makes a bit more sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:33 pm 
Clucky Hen
Clucky Hen

Thank you all very much for your input. I had seen the article which stated that it was ok for chickens but ended up very confused in the end. I miss read Mikes bit in the section Ivomectin dosage in the Good Samaritan Centre I thought he meant the injectable and realised my mistake when I sat down to reread the topic after purchasing the Ivermectin. It wont go to waste as we use it on our horses over the tongue. I could use it as a test on some of my culls but I think I will try and get some of the Ivermectin drench perhaps Mike you could tell me what name it goes under as that seems the easiest way to do all my chickens.

I have used the Big L pig and poultry wormer but I would like to cover lice and mites as well and it doesn't seem to do this.

regards Judy