Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Duck not able to walk

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Duck not able to walk
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:41 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi guys,
One of my Indian Runners has become unable to walk. She seemed ok when I let her out this morning but an hour or so later I noticed her sitting by herself in an unusual spot. It was only this afternoon that I really noticed she was unable to walk. I have looked her over. I cant find any puncture wounds. Wings seem a little uneven but extend normally, she had slightly uneven wings to begin with. She has clean looking feet no lumps, abdomen seems soft, cant find any hard spots or lumps, a bit of poo around cloaka but probably no more than I would expect if she is pooping sitting down and only able to drag her self if she has to. She is drinking. I haven't seen her eat but then she is a bit timid and doesn't always eat when I am there. Her left leg seems totally normal her right a little weak but there is movement in both the lower joints. She is holding her tail tucked a little lower than normal when I try to encourage her to take her own weight. Where else should I look? If she has broken something would the swelling be obvious ? Is it possible our over exuberant drake has injured her back? He does tend to be a bit rough stomps on them a lot and the feathers at the back of her neck are getting pretty thin. She usually isolates herself from him and the others (There are two other mature ducks). Any other ideas as to what I should look at to figure out how to treat her. She is around 13 months old.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:55 pm 
Golden Pekin
Golden Pekin

Are you in an area where paralysis ticks are found? If you are, check her very carefully for ticks, especially round the head and neck. There is a thread about ticks on ducks - I'll find you the link in a sec.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8017202

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:28 pm 
Golden Pekin
Golden Pekin

Just read your post again - so you have observed that one leg is normal and the other weak. In that case a leg injury is likely. It could have been the drake, or just general duck clumsiness. That's common in ducks. There wouldn't necessarily be any obvious swelling or hot spots (in my experience).

Can you describe the way she walks or stands in a bit more detail? Does it look like her bag leg collapses under her?

If it's an injury a strain/sprain is more likely than a break. She should recover - it might take a week or so though. If a vet visit is possible then Metacam (anti-inflammatory and painkiller) might be prescribed if the vet thinks it is an injury.

For now, keep the food and water close to her. Swimming would be good therapy (if it's a sprain).

I'd still check for ticks if you are in a tick prone area though :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

I'd put her on vitamins too. I had a duck who suddenly couldnt walk and after advice from here I put her on vitamins and within a day she was improving and in a week pretty well back to normal. I continued the vitamins for several months just to make sure there were no deficiencies. She is A1 fine now!

NellyG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:07 pm 
Swan
Swan

Adding vitamins could be a good idea but make sure that your vitamin mix contains vitamins of the B-group.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:10 pm 
Golden Pekin
Golden Pekin

I agree that vitamins can't hurt but vitamin deficiencies tend to produce these symptoms in young, growing ducks, not a 13 month old duck. But - it's worth doing anyway and it will give her a boost and do no harm :) Might even help (or she might show improvement just because it is healing up).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:54 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for so many quick responses. We are in SA in the Adelaide Hills so we don't tend to have issues with ticks.
I have moved her into the shed on some pea straw with water and food. She has shown no interest in eating but she is timid and I am not sure if that is normal for her. In the shed she is pulling herself into a more vertical position using the side of the shed to try to get away, wings partially outstretched and attempting to walk but isn't covering any distance hardly even a shuffle, has no real ground clearance before she sits down again. Her lower leg joints a look normal and seem to move as usual. She doesn't seem unbalanced or disoriented although she is shivering a little so I have left her in case I am causing more stress. I have noticed she seems to have her tail a little awry and still tucked a little further under than usual, in fact she seems kind of uneven down one side.

She eats a fairly good diet but I will attempt some vitamins. Starting to wonder if she has somehow damaged the femur or pubic area. Could a drake do that? She isn't tiny but he is pretty solid at the moment, promiscuous and not really very likeable. I have actually been thinking about locking him up separately and putting my youngsters out with the girls in the larger yard. Is there any truth in the tale that white runner drakes are more promiscuous? My last was a real gentleman!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 pm 
Swan
Swan

Please observe her food intake in the next few days.
For now, let's just assume it's a sprain or a vitamin deficiency but if she didn't only lose interest in food temporarily you might be dealing with aspergillosis. It can cause lameness as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:26 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Guys,
A bit of an update today I saw the duck stand up particularly vertically wings partially outstretched and walk several meters. She only walks under duress and prefers not to move. She was a little uneven, limping a little. Her tail still seems rolled under. She lay an egg today and in drinking and eating a little probably more when I am not there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:43 pm 
Golden Pekin
Golden Pekin

That sounds like some improvement, which is great. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:26 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

That does sound like an improvement. Fingers crossed for you and your duck.

NellyG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

A quick update. Have separated her from the drake and after a few days she has calmed down started to eat and is walking with a limp managing to forage a bit. Vastly improved from the terrified incapacitated duck of a few days ago. I suspect the problem was caused by the drake. Obviously she is the favourite. He has 3 girls but it seems that is not enough! Hopefully there is not too much permanent damage and she is not left with too much of a twisted uneven posture.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:40 pm 
Golden Pekin
Golden Pekin

That's wonderful :) I hope she continues to improve and in time is good as new :)