Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - fitting chicken

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fitting chicken
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:09 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi all,
I have a one week old pure splash australorp chicken that is in a brooder box with 17 other chickens. They are on wood shavings, and some bits are very fine. The chicken has recently started to have fits (not sure if thats the right word). It seems perfectly normal most of the time, then all of a sudden it will start to go mad. it usually starts of by stamping its feet and chirping loudly(by stamping feet, i mean really fast!!), then laying on its back madly flapping its wings, kicking its feet and shaking its head all over the place, while chirping very loudly and frantically. After about 10 seconds, it will go limp and close its eyes, as if dead. it usually revives from chickens stepping on it, and it then slowly wakes up and goes back to what ever it was doing before. This happens every 3-4 minutes, and has only started recently(20 minutes ago).

The light has gone off twice in the week, but the last time it went off was 2 days ago. The temperature went down to 19 degrees C.

Could it be that it is choking on the pine shavings?

thank you very much
Scott

Post subject: Re: fitting chicken
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:26 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

the first thing to try would be to remove all the shavings and have them on something like newspaper and see what happens. It does sound like some sort of seizure though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:34 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Hi

Anything can happen but I do doubt choking. There is no reason that a fowl cant have epilepsy just like any other animal. I seen a friends rooster who is quite prone to the type of fits you are describing but seems to cope well enough otherwise.

There is also the chance that it has some sort of brain pressure against the skull which it just may grow out of. A week old is still very young for a rapidly growing and developing macro-organism like a chicken. Some things just may be out of whack.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:08 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

thank you for the replies
I have been out for lunch, so I couldn't actually keep an eye on it, but as soon as I got back I went to check on it. It was sitting underneath the light, like all the other ones, as normal. I wasn't down there for long, as it is windy and rainy and I had other chooks to check, but it seemed perfectly alright. I don't know if it just didn't happen in the short time I was there or whether it was choking on something before and has got it down now.
If it is some sort of epileptic fit will it be fine if I treat it like the other chooks or will it need special care? Or will it need to be put down?
Thank you again for the help
Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:17 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Wait and see what happens with it Scotts.
It may happen again or it may not. :dontknow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:25 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Talking about out for dinner - we went out to our local river hoping for a yellowbelly, perch or trout but sadly no, just a biggish carp which the dogs have now.

However, it gave me time to think further. We occasionally see chickens that star gaze, that is; appear to have no control of their neck and head, often thats the result of an egg that only just made it in terms of hatching quality and as a result leaves the chicks with vitamin deficiencies. Vitamins are precursors for a number of digestive and metabolic pathways. Some avian soluable vitamins (soluvet etc from a pet shop or produce store) in the water might not be a bad idea.

It is winter and eggs do suffer deficiencies in winter.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:05 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thank you for the replies,
Thankfully, it hasn't done it again, so I'm hoping it wasn't anything too serious. chookyinoz, I have actually been thinking of getting some vitamins for my chooks, as I have an OEG bantam hen that has a cold of some sort,(i'm hoping they might help clear it up) and she has had it for 3 months. It is nothing serious as she is one of my healthiest chooks.
Tomorrow I will get something for them.
Thank you very much
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:09 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Mike,
thats interesting about the vitamins- i will share an experience i had earlier in the year; one of my pullets was fitting, i thought she had epilepsy. She was hatched during that heatwave in January and several times a day would suddenly start fitting, screeching wildly/flapping wings uncontrollably and run in circles till it passed or she ran into something. 2 months on it hadnt changed and I was going to put her down- then remembered that mineral/vitamin defiecies in humans can make epilepsy a lot worse (i have some experience with that), so I started putting vitamins in her water and within 2 days all signs of fitting went, its now several months later and she's fine, has put on condition and coming into point of lay- no more fits.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:22 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thats very interesting angelcake!
Today I will get some vitamins, as the fitting may happen again.
:th for all the help

Scott