Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - my most favourite ever hen has gone lame

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 8:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I am doing research but just wondered if anyone had any quick thoughts on my little girl. She's an older girl but she's been so well and happy until this morning.

Breed: Belgian D'uccle
Sex: Hen

What is wrong: Unable to stand or keep her balance. slightly laboured breathing/panting. Runny green tinted/pasty white poo with a small amount of blood/fleshy bits. This has seemed to come on very suddenly. Yesterday she was well, great condition, active.

What are you feeding: Layer pellets, diatomaceous earth, shell grit, occasional kitchen scraps.

Droppings: Runny, browny green tinged, pasty white bits, small amount of blood/flesh.

Breathing: a little bit of panting/laboured breathing at times. No other respiratory symptoms

Digestive: Still eating fairly enthusiastically, crop seems quite full.

Condition: Still looks good, glossy feathering, normal healthy weight, comb a little pale

Behavioural changes: None

Agility changes: lame.

Worming: This hasn't been done for a while (some months)

Meds: Have given a coccidiostat today. Will worm tonight.

No other changes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:19 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Worming her would be a good thing and see how she goes with that. She is quite elderly for a chicken so be prepared that it may be her time to go.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:32 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you, will see how she goes with the worming. I think she probably is on the way out, so sad... we've had her since POL so she's been with us a long time and she's a very sweet, affectionate little henny.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:03 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi There El and Damo
Is she with a roo" at all, as sometimes if they are an older hen the boys can be a tad brutal on them...
I had a Brown Barnie Hen that was an older hen when she was delivered to me (much to my disgust) but I fell in love with her and her "Fat Albert" ( that thread is on the "Which birds did you love the most in your pens").
She was with us for about 4 years and then she got "pummeld" by a younger rooster and had an injury as a result.
I think they are like us,Once they get older they just can't cope with physical confrontation.

I isolate my girls and my older boys if I think they are getting a tough time and I have the facilities to do that but make sure they have a companion as they may fret...
Restrict her excercise but at the same time don't lock her up so much that she cant move at all..
Good Luck
:^