Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - worm/mite treatment

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: worm/mite treatment
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:45 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I somewhat stupidly wormed the girls about a month and a half ago(workout tablets) and forgot to do a follow up. They had tapeworm segments again, so I wormed them on the weekend.
They've got some scaly mite & I think mites as well. So worms, scaly mite & mites.

I had some spot on ivermectin that I treated them with the weekend before last for the scaly mite then read the long thread that said spot-ons are basically useless.

I have frontline spray that I've used with success in the past, although not for scaly mite.

I don't want to increase the chances of treatments becoming ineffective, so what's the best step from here?

1. Get more ivermectin spot on for the follow-up treatment, follow up the wormout treatment & spray for mites (not all at once, don't worry)?

2.get the moximectin (oral) treatment and use that in place of wormout, ivermectin & frontline spray?

3. Get moximectin (oral) and treat with that, wormout & frontline (so only in place of ivermectin)?

4. any combination of the above?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: worm/mite treatment
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:57 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Go with choice number two - make sure it is moxidectin Plus (contains Praziquantel as well) to do the tape worms.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:00 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks Mike,
Really appreciate your time, I'll treat them on the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:42 pm 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

I treat my fowls with Ivermectin cattle pour-on. I don't have mites or lice and according to a worm float, no worms either.

The studies may say that a spot-on is useless and give reasons why but they work for me.

Linz :)

[i]A lot of Andalusians. Anconas in Standard and Bantam PB Black Leghorns in Standard
and Bantam, Derbyshire Redcaps, Light Sussex Bantams.
[/i]
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:08 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

my 2 cents

What ever you decide to dose your chickens with for worming the fastest and most complete program would be to drench your birds directly to the beak with an anthelmintic (moxi or whatever you want) and while you are holding them spray normal household flyspray onto the legs (the semi synthetic pyrethroids will take care of the scaly-leg mites) and give them a dusting around the vent and up to the chest with Pestene (rotenone)

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:13 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I don't know about fly spray, reckon they'd eat some of it preening it off. can't taste good :) shouldn't the moxi treat scaly mites?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:52 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

the fly spray is the same as dipping your birds in a permethrin solution like avian insect liquidator, you need a lot to impact on the bird. if in doubt just get avian insect liquidator.

Moxi will treat scaly leg .... eventually

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:39 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

what is the witholding period for eggs after treating with moxi? also is it a once only dose in the water or do you treat for a number of days?thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:06 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Short answer is 10 days witholding but a better answer is that as it is not a product registered for use in poultry there has never been any witholding trials done on poultry. There certainly has on other animals such as cats dogs sheep cattle pigs etc and it is a safe product. We know it works without risk in poultry at the recommended dose rate.

To dose poultry it is 5 ml per litre of water. Now they wont like it so its important that they are thirsty so withdraw all other water mid afternoon so they become thirsty. Then the next morning place the medicated water in the pen and make sure it is the only water they can access. Leave for 24 hours and then replace it with fresh clean unmedicated water/ Repeat a fortnight later to catch any worms that have hatched from eggs in the chooks system since the first dosing.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:51 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for that. We're actually treating for mites. I know we had success with it years ago but couldn't remember the withholding period. I too have retired. This was for my son's chookies. He's picked up the poultry baton so to speak and carrying on the good tradition.