Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Light Sussex bantam - stopped laying, lame, scab on abdomen

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:19 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks. I was very concerned about her last night but this morning it's easier to see how she is, as the broodiness is abating enough for me to leave her out in the yard with the others to move around. Re the lameness, she is avoiding putting weight on the left leg. It isn't giving way underneath her, or being dragged. Her wings look normal, not dragging. I am able to move the legs freely when I turn her over. I can's see any swelling and certainly no break. She is still eating and drinking. Last night I thought her red comb was going slightly blackish at the top, but today I'm not sure if I was imagining it. It's very slight if it has changed colour. Darkish at the tips. I've seen her poo a couple of times and it looks very wet. No blood in faeces. I haven't looked at the scab area today yet. Will do so after school drop-off.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a Bantam Plymouth Rock, a Bantam Brahma, a Bantam Australorp, a hive of bees and a family of boys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:31 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Ok I am watching

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:11 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Scab no worse or different. Has grown a new scab, but no build up of pus or inflammation as far as I can tell. Still lame, but not severely so. Just did a normal poo on my kitchen floor!

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a Bantam Plymouth Rock, a Bantam Brahma, a Bantam Australorp, a hive of bees and a family of boys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:03 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Now, here is where we are. The reluctance to put weight on the leg is noted.

Many things can cause this and most of them are purely medical and not an infectious disease or an infection. Chooks get sprains and strains just the same as we do. They also get deep vein thrombosis the same way we do. Sitting without frequent enough exercise. It could also be simply stiff and sore from continued limited use. If its any of these ultimately the symptoms should just go away in time.

There is a risk of an infectious disease such as Avian Leucosis and, I suppose, Mareks Disease although at 18 months she is outside of the normal range of age in poultry where Mareks is common. We have learnt that Mareks disease can do unexpected things. The important thing here is that there is no cure or recovery for either Mareks or Avian Leucosis and the bird will only get worse as the disease progresses.

The other things you mentioned in your first post after a Dr Google are also possibilities, however, I have learnt over time that common things happen commonly and your Google search tossed up some pretty uncommon things.

Lets just watch and wait for the time being and make decisions on what to do next as the need arises. There is nothing that is life threatening in the short term.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:26 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Entirely with Mike here, except that I'd also worm her again. It can't hurt her to get rid of possible internal parasites before letting her sit and it is possible that there is a burden of worms after 4 months.
I'd also consider not letting her be broody at all if there is a chance that she might have an issue with her leg due to extended resting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:09 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thank you very much Mike and Nostress. It is really helpful to get some informed opinions.

We did have one bird die of Mareks a year and a half ago, and she was an adult bird. I'll hope it's just a minor leg injury. I will keep her monitored re the broodiness and lock her up again if she goes back to the nest. She hasn't gone back to it today, so hopefully she won't now, although she is still gluck-gluck-glucking. But I did spot her broodiness on the first day of it, (in fact after only a couple of hours) so it isn't as though she had spent days in the nest box getting stiff and sore. Maybe an injury in the coop with roosting/jostling for spots with the new hen has somehow occurred...

Thanks again. Judy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

And, yes, I'll worm them again. I suppose it is all the flock or nothing with worming?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:58 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Yes worm them all ChickenBoots and follow up in 2 weeks. Use a product that covers Tapeworm also. Avitrol Plus or Wormout will do the trick.

I hope she makes an improvement for you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:10 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thank you! I've got Avitrol Plus.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:45 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Update:
Vita went to the Melbourne Bird Clinic yesterday. Her appetite had dropped off and she had lost weight and was still limping. She could not scratch in the yard because of the leg and had lost interest in most activity. I had put her on antibiotics for her scabby abdomen already.

Corrie from Melbourne Bird Clinic could not feel any tumours or swelling in the abdomen but felt that the history of soft shelled eggs and going off the lay in late winter and not resuming all spring would indicate a problem in the reproductive area. Whether this is a nasty incurable disease, or peritonitis or inflammation of the ovaries or something else, remains to be seen. She was not concerned with the leg and confirmed that there is no break. The limp could be as a result of soft tissue injury or pressure on the sciatic nerves that pass near the reproductive area (as suggested by somebody here). The scabby tummy was consistent with a bird sitting around a lot and not feeling well.

She has put an implant into Vita to give her body a break from laying or hormonal cycles for around 4-6 months (she wasn't laying anyway, but was trying to) pain relief for the leg and whatever else inside is causing discomfort, and the antibiotics will continue. She also gave her a crop feed to give her a boost. We decided hospitalisation was going to be too expensive for us. We have been told to try to tempt her with any food she will eat, no matter what. Cat food is often a favourite with sick chickens, she said. She was to be allowed out with the others as long as the weather is fine and the others aren't picking on her.

This morning Vita was still very difficult to feed, and the other chooks ended up eating all the delicious treats we were tempting her with. But she ate some seed, and I believe the Metacam pain relief has now kicked in because she is scratching away with the other hens for the first time in a couple of weeks.

So, I'm not sure what her long term prospects are, but she's a happy chicken right now, albeit a dreadfully scruffy looking one. Very dirty and now in full moult.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:53 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that something can be done for her and we'll have to wait for the outcome. There are quite a few things you could try to tempt her to eat, with cat food being one of the good options. You could also try beef mince, meal worms and the the Rickets diet. Crop feeding with roudybush formula 3 is another option. If you are interested in crop feeding, have a look HERE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:13 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thank you very much for that. I will look into all of those. I know where I can buy mealworms locally too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:13 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Do you happen to know where I can buy a crop feeding tube and huge syringe? Or do I need to ask my vet for one? Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:55 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I bought mine from my avian vet. You can also get the 60 ml syringes at most stockfeed places. I found it a bit difficult to find the tubes anywhere else than at my vets. Crop needles can be bought in online shops though. For example HERE.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:17 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hello ChickenBoots,

I am glad you have got some answers about your girl.

Feeding tubes and crop needles are not a big seller for stock feed places and the like so I found them pretty hard to get. The Melbourne Bird Clinic would have them and if you call them they will post it to you overnight, they are very quick to mail products out.

I have a girl here who lost a lot of weight and I thought I was going to loose her, she was not interested in most of the food I tried to give her. I did find a few things that she really liked and since feeding them for a while, she has put on a lot of weight and started laying again. She is now back on her pellets and eating a lot.

Some of the things I fed her, are probably not ideal for chooks, so I will not list them but they got her eating again and interested in food. The one thing that I will list as Nostress has already indicated is mince meat. The rickets diet is also very good but my girl did not like it hence moving to other food.

I hope you can find something to entice her with and she makes a recovery for you.