Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - I have a really weird problem.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:17 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Sorry it evades me - where is the fun in a distressed animal of any kind. Her misery in the video is enough, nothing funny or fun. Hope you can sort out something for her.

Internet clips of animals in pain or fear bother me - like the fox terrier taught to gallop through a doggy-door - then the door locked. Dog with broken nose and eye socket, and we are supposed to be laughing. Matter of degree. (But that's just me: the basis of most humour is cruelty, there is always a loser).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:13 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I thought of the 'watching for predators' too but if you go thru the video frame by frame, she is always head down, never up. I am wondering about her eyesight and if she wants to get down but can't focus on a landing. (maybe doesn't even know it is daylight?) As a creature of habit, living in a familiar environment, once down she would know where to go for food and water if their position doesn't change (or if she is maybe short sighted) and she could probably even negotiate the ladder to return to the roost, but the getting down may be too challenging.
Perhaps test this by taking her off the roost at night and placing her just above the floor.
Knocking her off could well cause an injury if she can't see to safely land.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:08 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I was unable to view the video so can't comment on it but I have a silkie that sits on a bench I made and she stays there all day. I take her to her water several times a day and put food next to her. The reason she does this is because she gets picked on by the other silkies and also wants to avoid my rooster. The bench is her 'safe' place.
Does your pekin feel threatened or frightened by anything if she comes off her perch?
It sounds like she's avoiding something or not feeling well. Most chickens will perch throughout the day but won't stay there ALL day.
My guess is, she's not weird at all, but rather something is worrying or bothering her.
If I could view the video I could offer further comments but can't access it on my mobile. Will try when I get onto my computer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:17 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I saw the video. My suggestion would be remove that perch altogether. Only have a lower one and make it thicker.
She's not weird at all. She most likely feels insecure on such a thin, high perch and is reluctant to get down. Pekins have very short legs they can easily injure themselves jumping off a perch.
My pekin rooster is currently limping because his girlfriends accidently pushed him off a very wide, flat, low nesting box.
Sorry to say, the rod youre using isn't really suitable for a perch.
I would re arrange your pen and see if she settles and feels more comfortable. I'd also observe if she's being picked on by the others which could be another reason shes reluctant to get down.
If you're wanting to 'knock her off' the perch perhaps it might be an idea to find a more suitable home for her?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:13 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

darn I cant view the video either don't know why :think:

[color=#008040],1 x buff leghorn,2 x bantam rir,1 x blue barnevelder[/color]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:22 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Just a quick update for those curious. I fiddled with the perch, wrapped some towels around it, and then a tight layer of duct tape, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Also gave her a nail trim.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:19 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

i was wondering how she was going,thats great she's ok now,instead of adding wrapping to the rod you could just buy a wide tomato stake they make good perches,btw that was an amazing time lapse video you did ! :thumbs:

[color=#008040],1 x buff leghorn,2 x bantam rir,1 x blue barnevelder[/color]