Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Psittavet

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Psittavet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:39 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi all,
I have bought the Psittavet product from my vet (pretty sure I paid double what I should have) ...they have told me to dose my birds at the pigeon dose for 30 days (we have CRD, Coryza and Ort) - that means no eggs for at least 30 days and they weren't sure about the Witholding period.
It doesn't seem like a big enough dose to me, and the jar says NOT to feed to egg producing birds (for human consumption) but there seems to be a lot of chicken breeders / owners who have used this product.
Any info or testamonies would be appreciated.
Vic

Post subject: Re: Psittavet
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:34 pm 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

Your birds actually have CRD and Coryza? These are diseases that will stay with the birds. They will be carriers of those diseases. You shouldn't sell them or give them away as they WILL infect other birds. My advice is to destroy and restock after a total clean and rest of pens and coops.

Linz :)

[i]A lot of Andalusians. Anconas in Standard and Bantam PB Black Leghorns in Standard
and Bantam, Derbyshire Redcaps, Light Sussex Bantams.
[/i]
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:57 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for your opinion Linz...I assume the avarian vet would have that expert knowledge too? We certainly don't intend to give away or sell our infected flock. I just wonder how many chicken lovers and breeders out there have these diseases without knowing it.. Not many people are willing to spend $400 on vet and lab fees to find out. Whether you buy in eggs or birds you are really at the mercy of the breeders, and many breeders may not know that there is a problem. We have 50+ chickens and only 4 have showed signs of illness.

Vic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:24 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Here is a microbiologists opinion. There are some twenty odd respiratory infections and diseases that affect poultry. Many have exactly the same signs and symptoms and the only way to know exactly what the problem is by performing culture and sensitivities in testing laboratories.

Vets are in a position of having to make snap judgement based on their training and experience on prescriptions and mostly they get it right. The days of antibiotics being broad spectrum are well and truly over. A sensitivity test tell you exactly what antibiotic is best for that particular bacteria. A very strong 80/20 rule applies with poultry respiratory infections. That is; eighty percent of all respiratory infections are caused by only twenty percent of possible pathogens. It is also rare for birds to have multiple infections as one infection will dominate almost totally, however, if it truly in a chlamydial infection then the doxycycline will help.

However, no antibiotic is going to have any effect on any viral infection which cause a large number of respiratory infections just as it does with humans.

However, I do agree with Linz in that if you do have CRD and Psittacosis and fifty plus fowls, isolating the sick ones and consider culling the sick birds is a wise decision short of having the lab tests to determine exactly what the infection is.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:45 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi vicki and welcome. If you are uncertain about the dosage, I suggest that you ring the vet and confirm it with them. Sometimes vets do make mistakes or we misunderstand their instruction.
Did the vet give any advice about the rest of the flock based on the diagnosis. I would follow that up also with the Avian Vet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:07 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Ouch, you poor thing. CRD, Coryza, _and_ ORT? In four birds?

I hadn't heard of this last one before and had to look it up: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseasein ... ction-ort/.

I would check back with your vet, as sue55 suggests, for dosage. What you're dealing with there are three very nasty, highly-contagious illnesses and I would only trust the opinion of the vet who has examined the bird, rather than well-informed, well-intentioned, but ultimately not-local people on the Internet.

I've had experience with Coryza (it wasn't fun) and, in addition to a good strong antibiotic, given as per the vet requirements and for the period of time recommended, I strongly recommend the following:

* Full isolation of the unwell birds in a location well away from the rest of the flock or from any other poultry.
* Going into full "biosecurity" mode.
-- Handle the unwell birds last in your poultry rounds.
-- Do not go from the poultry hospital to the main flock area without completely changing your clothes, washing your hands, and changing your footwear.
-- Wash everything after handling or managing the unwell birds.
-- Give the sick birds the most protein-rich diet you can manage, including raw meat/eggs, livestock or avian supplements/vitamins.
-- Even after the sick birds have recovered, keep them in strict quarantine for a good four weeks afterwards.
* If more birds get sick, remove them from the flock INSTANTLY. This means the very moment you hear the first sneeze, notice the first bubbles in the eye, or even on signs of slowness or general unthriftiness.
* If you can't treat additional sick birds with antibiotics, either get more antibiotics or kill them.
-- They almost never get better on their own from these illnesses - if they seem to recover on their own, they come down with the same illness at the first sign of stress in the future and take their closest flockmates with them.
-- I paid a very high price for that wishful thinking and ended up hand-killing over 60% of one of my larger flocks because of a Coryza outbreak (I called it the "frothy-eyed respiratory" and to this day I live in horror of it).

I was able to treat a couple of my favourite birds with vet-prescribed antibiotics (actually dog ones - Vibravet) and they did recover fully. But I couldn't treat all the numbers that eventually came down with it over a series of months.

I wish you all the best and hope your birds recover completely!