Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Araucana with respiratory ailment - what else can we do?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:37 pm 

My little black Araucana girl started having problems breathing a few days ago - stretching her neck, gasping for air, with occasional coughing, plus watery poos. We took her to the vets and were given Baytril oral 25 to give her (0.5 ml a day). She's just had her 4th dose.

We've been keeping her inside, as warm as we can, and have been running a vapouriser near her cage with some eucalyptus oil in it. She does stand as close to the steam as she can, so it must be helping her a little. She was eating well a few days ago, but would only eat some mealworms yesterday, and today isn't even eating them. She's still drinking a little water, to which we've added some "Spark Liquid" (an energy & electrolyte supplement for sick birds).

Unfortunately, her breathing has gotten worse - very rattley, and she's really struggling for each breath. Its so heart-breaking to hear and see her like this!

I was hoping someone would have some tips for what else we can try to help her - I'm not ready to give up on her just yet!

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:53 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

sounds like she needs a respiratory antibiotic - Doxycycline is usually the drug of choice.
There are essential oils you can get for respiratory health - a lady in Caboolture, Brisbane sells them but am pretty sure they are a doTerra oils.
If she is not eating or drinking you may need to get the vet to show you how to crop feed or give subcutaneous fluids...it's not hard.
Vicki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:24 pm 

Hi Vicki - thanks for responding.

Unfortunately our vet isn't open tomorrow, and I'm not sure if our girl will last until Monday! I'll see if our chemist has the tubing & syringes needed for tube feeding tomorrow, and give it a go if still she refuses to eat.

I've been through my aromatherapy collection and added some cinnamon oil to the vapouriser - its supposed to be good for respiratory infections.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:50 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I bought a crop needle so I would have it in case of emergency. I don't like using it, but once you know how (there are lots of videos on you tube that help to explain it) it's an easy way to get medicines and fluids into birds. I tend to just use water and honey, then that gives the bird a bit of energy to eat something by herself eventually. I'm no expert though, this forum is full of people with great ideas!
Vicki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:01 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Baytril is a good antibiotic when used appropriately so keep at it.

Go carefully with the eucalyptus oil. The vapour may have an effect of any mucus in the lungs and trachea but it is toxic to poultry. Also in addition to the spark liquid go to a vet shop (or produce store) and get some "Soluvet" soluable avian specific vitamins just to make sure all the function precursers are properly vitamimised. Use it as per the direction though as in this case more is not better.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:52 pm 

Thanks Mike - I didn't realise eucalyptus was toxic to poultry! Is there an online list of what essential oils are OK/ not OK for chickens? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

The baytril hasn't had any affect so far - I did think after four doses we would see some sign of improvement if it was going to work. I think we only have enough left for another 2-3 doses.

I got a 10ml syringe that came with a little plastic tube from the chemist (the only thing they had which would do the job), and just did my first ever crop feeding. I was so nervous, but once we settled her down and stopped her struggling (she still has quite a bit of fight in her!), everything else went smoothly. It was a lot easier than I expected. Only gave her 10ml, so we'll have to repeat that a few times today. I've got my hubby to help me today, but will have to do it by myself tomorrow! At least I should have gotten enough practice today that it shouldn't be too daunting...

Will check out our local pet store tomorrow for the Soluvet.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:18 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

I wrote this in another post this morning. I am doing a cut and paste without doing an edit. Some parts apply for your fowl, some dont, so dont use this as an updated response. Just information.

chookyinoz wrote:
Here is a microbiologists opinion. There are some twenty odd respiratory infections and diseases that affect poultry. Many have exactly the same signs and symptoms and the only way to know exactly what the problem is by performing culture and sensitivities in testing laboratories.

Vets are in a position of having to make snap judgement based on their training and experience on prescriptions and mostly they get it right. The days of antibiotics being broad spectrum are well and truly over. A sensitivity test tell you exactly what antibiotic is best for that particular bacteria. A very strong 80/20 rule applies with poultry respiratory infections. That is; eighty percent of all respiratory infections are caused by only twenty percent of possible pathogens. It is also rare for birds to have multiple infections as one infection will dominate almost totally, however, if it truly in a chlamydial infection then the doxycycline will help.

However, no antibiotic is going to have any effect on any viral infection which cause a large number of respiratory infections just as it does with humans.

However, I do agree with Linz in that if you do have CRD and Psittacosis and fifty plus fowls, isolating the sick ones and consider culling the sick birds is a wise decision short of having the lab tests to determine exactly what the infection is.

Mike

Use the Baytil until its gone. If you still dont think yours is better then contact the vet again. He has given you the baytril based on a good best guess. Mostly Vets get it right but there are other antibiotics available for them to prescribe.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:18 pm 

Thanks Mike - I appreciate the advice.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out just how much I should be feeding her each day. Most guides on crop feeding just say to check her crop for fullness, and others are geared toward chickens which are underweight. When the vet weighed her she was 1.6kg and she hasn't really lost much weight in the last few days.

Any advice on how to best estimate the amount of food to give her?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:57 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

I have never crop fed but I would suggest that smaller amounts more often would be better. A fowl eats between 90-120 grams in total in a day. So if you are tens grams or so four times a day then you are sustaining life.

The reality is though that she should start to eat herself with in a day or so. If she is not starting to eat then you have to wonder if there is another underlying cause which may mean that she is also not digesting the food you are giving her.

What is it you are pumping in ?

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:13 pm 

Thanks - four times a day sounds doable. I'm making up a mixture of plain lactose free yogurt, cat food, a tiny bit of molasses and some Poly Aid Plus - watered down so it will go through the syringe.

She does occasionally seem a little interested in food (she had a go at some mealworms this morning, but kept dropping them), but can't eat when she's constantly struggling for air. So until the congestion eases off, I don't see that she going to start eating by herself again.

I just wish there were some way to dry up all the mucus!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:37 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Don't worry too much about the mucus. It is keeping things moist and providing a protective coating on inflamed surfaces. It will dry up as the infection clears. The main thing at the moment is that it doesn't thicken and cause blockages in her sinuses or lungs. Are her eyes and nostrils clear, or at least running?
There are a couple of specific formulas for crop feeding. Large pet stores may carry them or some vets.
Rowdybush is one.
It sounds like she is getting good care. Some moisture in her environment is probably helping. Don't worry too much about using essential oils. Stories of oils used as cures are generally based on prolongued use at minute doses. I doubt that they have been adequately tested on avians to provide reliable information rather than misinformation.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:34 pm 

Thanks Sue - My main concern is that her breathing is very laboured as a result of the mucus, and getting more laboured as time goes on, rather than lessening up. Its obviously tiring her out a lot.

Her eyes are clear, with only a little bit of clear mucus running from her nostrils from time to time.

I'll see what my local pet store has in the way of formulas for crop feeding. I don't recall seeing any when we where there on Friday, but then again I wasn't specifically looking for them!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:33 pm 

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Unfortunately Miss Lola took a turn for the worst this evening, and my hubby and I made the hard decision to euthanise her.

Thankfully none of our other girls are showing any symptoms! And at least now we have gained some valuable knowledge in caring for a sick chook and can be better prepared for next time...

Thanks again for all the help - it was much appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:32 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Very sorry for your loss Lilchook - you really gave it your best and sometimes there is just nothing more you can do in the time available as they can go downhill so quickly once they are ill. :hug