Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Antibiotic use with chickens and disease transfer to humans

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 1:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:34 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

http://sciencenordic.com/chickens-cause ... ons-humans [quote[/quote]

Danish researcher finds a link between urinary tract infections in Vietnamese who are cohabiting with chickens and cautions against certain antibiotic use with chickens.

Interesting read in relation to general poultry hygiene and overuse of antibiotics in animals affecting human health.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:49 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Hi - Firstly, it is well known that poultry carry a number of pathogens as normal flora in their intestines. If you go looking for salmonella microbiologically then you will find it and the same goes for Shigella and Campylobacter. As a microbiologist I am very much against last ditch antibiotics such as Vancomycin being given to animals prophylactically but it is a wide spread practice particularly in poultry industries. It will only be a matter of time until a main pathogen becomes multi resistant and that medicine wont have the tools to treat it.

Back onto the article, secondly. It would have been interesting to see the original research paper as although it is basically true the article has been cobbled together by a journalist and there are some "long bow" assumptions made. We also carry enterococcus in our intestines and they play a role in the digestive process. I very strongly think that the heart valve infection was a fairly isolated case and probably with a patient that had other underlying problems.

Without doubt there should be a hygiene procedure practiced by anyone who handles fowls. Simply washing hands with soap goes a long way. Using disinfectant/antiseptic substances such as "dettol wipes" is not a good alternative as although they claim it kills 99% there is still a 1% it doesn't kill and its that 1% that is the problem.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:45 pm 

I had an opportunity to talk with the manufacture who makes the feed I use with all my animals last week and he told me that there are now two Probiotics that can withstand the pelleting process and they are looking at both currently to evaluate one of them going into some of their bagged poultry and pig diets.

He told me that the Probiotics are used in the EU areas more so and in the meat bird areas to reduce the use of antibiotics.

Personally I think that is is good to see a company being proactive in using more natural ways to help our birds and in the long run us humans.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:55 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

To limit exposure is one reason we refuse to let any pets, poultry, birds etc into the house. And i wash hands with soap constantly even between different brooder boxs. And i wont go into my bird avairies after being near the chickens without washing my hands and checking shoes for chook poo. Antibiotics have their place but over prescribing is why so many bugs are becoming resistant, when you go to the Dr with the flu its amazing how many will still prescribe antibiotics. A secondary infection from the flu ok then it might be necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:49 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

chookyinoz wrote:
... Using disinfectant/antiseptic substances such as "dettol wipes" is not a good alternative
Mike

Thanks Mike - it is good to have a technically informed perspective. Interesting recent news on those wipes may turn you off them even more..
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-08/c ... ps/7825460

mycoola wrote:
To limit exposure is one reason we refuse to let any pets, poultry, birds etc into the house. And i wash hands with soap constantly

Mycoola I am washing my hands so often the skin is wearing thin!! ;) I am quite diligent in that aspect but I do let a couple of the chickens come into the kitchen, though staying on the tiled or wooden floor - which I have the practice of washing with boiled water from the kettle and disinfectant, at any rate since the advent of a crawling toddler visiting the house.

Arwon wrote:
I had an opportunity to talk with the manufacture who makes the feed I use with all my animals last week and he told me that there are now two Probiotics that can withstand the pelleting process and they are looking at both currently to evaluate one of them going into some of their bagged poultry and pig diets.

He told me that the Probiotics are used in the EU areas more so and in the meat bird areas to reduce the use of antibiotics.

Personally I think that is is good to see a company being proactive in using more natural ways to help our birds and in the long run us humans.

Yes Arwon that is fantastic to hear - It sounds like using probiotics generally with our birds could be of benefit then!