Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Silky chicken

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Silky chicken
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:23 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hello,
My chicken is about 6 months old. When we bought her 3 months ago she was a beautiful white silky. My other chickens kept pecking at her and from day one in our garden she has been miserable. The other chickens do not get close to her and she is often chased around.
3 days ago I noticed puss in her eye. She wasn't moving and was bouncing her head as if she were falling asleep. I didn't think she would survive the night so she slept in a cage in our kitchen. She has been in our kitchen for 3 days, eating and drinking but pooping orange direah poop. She was unable to open her eyes so I cleaned them and her beak and eyes were full of mukus. They are clean now and she opened her eyes a little.
What should I do? Why has she been so miserable ever since she lived with my other hens?
Would really appreciate any advice please!! Thanks!! :^

Post subject: Re: Silky chicken
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:55 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

silkies are very gentle birds usually (there is of course always the exception).

firstly, she sounds ill, and should porbably go to the vet to get some medication to rid of her of hte mucus an muck. it is possible this has been brought on by stress which weakend her immune system leading to a respiratory infection.

secondly, you may decide, when she gets well, to rehome her, or to get a nother couple of silkies to be her companions. or anohter generally gentler breed such as a pekin.

due to their limited vision becauase of their crest an timid nature, they are not very good at standing up for themselves.

the fact that the poop is orange rather than green is a better sign, as green means not eating, so it soudsn like she is eating.

she needs some extra care, above and beyond what a nromal chook requires.

good luck.