Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - pullet start laying age

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pullet start laying age
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:44 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I hatched and raised some light sussex bantams and at 41 weeks old they are still not laying. All cockrells were dispatched, but at 41/42 weeks I feel like dispatching the pullets as well. One pullet does look not well her comb etc not developed and is very picky with what she eats. I picked her up and she was nothing but skin and bone.

Could the feeding of too much leftover protein like cooked chicken, fish and beef be the problem with their early development feeding. Have always had growing grain and later laying mix always in feeder, but no pullet eggs. Broody mother returned to laying but offspring seem to be on a permanent holiday.

Last edited by beemakb on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:03 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Sussex can take a little longer to lay, however the cues are all aligning at the moment. They are the right age, days are lengthening and sounds like they are getting plenty of protein. If their combs are developing, eggs can't be far off. Are you certain they are not hiding them or worse eating them?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:27 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

No sign of broken egg or wetness in the nest box. Except for one the other two pullet's combs are nice redness similar to two older hens. Fairly hard to tell who are the older broody ones that hatched the eggs, and who are the pullets. There are plenty of sounds made as if they all want to lay; but one egg about every second day from five chooks is not great. One of the eggs is much smaller so possibly one of the pullets is laying but very infrequently.

Oiginally lost two of the younger ones with a cockrell just disappearing, three nights later was drawn to the chokhouse to find the largest pullet in a strangle hold with a carpet snake. So I believe both went by snake. Night door now always closed.

Thanks for response and will wait patiently for a couple more months.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:49 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

40+ weeks is a long time for no eggs, even from Sussex. I do like my big girls, so I am used to the wait and I'm sure my last batch of pullets took at least that long.

As already said, if their combs are becoming more pronounced & getting redder then they should be about to start.

Is it possible they are laying outside the boxes and your neighbourhood carpet snake is enjoying the eggs? Eeeek!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:23 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Unfortunately the pullet was strangled with the snake also intertwined with the pullet and perch.
I have left the one a day egg in the nest and I see five eggs total for the six days, so no egg eating going on. Just hope one of the crew does not decide to sit on the slow gathering eggs as there is no rooster.
Do hope to get a setting of some laced wyandotte as they would be nice to have strutting around the garden in The Sunshine Coast area.
I do remember some seventy years ago when I first had bantams and one was allowed then to have a rooster, that sometimes a bantam hen would go missing and then after about three weeks, thinking a cat must have got it, it would then reappear with a batch of chickens in tow.
In the current house and yard there are no hiding places.