Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Help Please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help Please
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:45 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The waste and reproductive tracts both empty into the vent so the oil will provide some lubrication which may help both.

Here is a link to some good advice
viewtopic.php?p=7288

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Here are some pics. She is now doing some normal green poop now but it is coming out like a thick worm......not a big dollop but that has to be a good sign....don't you think?? She is exercising in her yard and I will keep her there for a couple of hours. I have given an olive oil enema and I hope that will take affect and that I am not making things worse. She is not straining as much as last night. I had her in a bath today for about 45 mins and the prolapse looked like it almost wanted to go back but there is still that urge to push when I gently encourage it.

I want to thank you for all your help otherwise I would be a mess.

Attachments:
Before bath.JPG
Before bath.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 2382 times ]
After bath (1).JPG
After bath (1).JPG [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 2382 times ]
Exersize yard.JPG
Exersize yard.JPG [ 2.33 MiB | Viewed 2382 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:14 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I think that you have done every thing that you can to help. Now it is a matter of time - hopefully there is not something else going on to cause her problems. From pic 3 and her feather condition and comb colour she looks healthy. I would persevere with the treatment for a few more days but continue trying to stop her laying - she should go into a moult, and then see what happens. Make sure that she has access to shell grit. Apart from egg shells it also plays a role in muscle strength. It is natural for the vent to respond to touch on all chooks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:09 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well it is day 7 and the prolapse is still out. It has shrunk in size but she still pushes back when I try to place it. Her health/condition seems surprisingly excellent....considering. She is still eating well.....oats, a mix of yogurt and honey, spinach, watermelon and calcium block. She is pooping slightly more "normal". I am bathing her still twice a day and I am applying honey on the prolapse and hemorrhoid cream around the vent area which has helped with the inflammation around her opening. She is in her pen about 4 hours a day so the girls can say hello.

My concern is that the prolapse seems quite "dry"....similar to a little meatball. Her poop seems to be making a little coating on one side and even though she is in the bath for 30-45 mins it does not come off and the hole where her egg would normally come from is quite hard too. I also think that it is what is stopping it from doing an proper full reinsertion. If a bit of the coating does come off it looks a but red/raw underneath. I want to try to keep it supple but have no idea on what to use.

There is no avian vet where. They are 2 1/2 hours away. Any suggestions??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:19 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Sounding like at least she is not going backwards but I am wondering if the prolapse is actually a tumor? Any vet should be able to diagnose.
You could try to shrink the prolapse with the Hemorrhoid Cream and push it back while her vent is relaxed after a bath, then using a small syringe, squeeze some of the cream into her vent. Give it a few minutes to tighten the internals and then use something moisturizing like vaseline externally. (Will also help stop poop sticking) If you can keep the prolapse in for at least a short time the internal moisture should help it self clean.
Has she stopped laying?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:19 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Yes she has stopped laying. She has not laid an egg for 7 days now.....thank heavens. I think that would be the last straw for the poor thing. She is in semi/complete darkness for about 18 hours a day. How much longer do you think I should keep her like that?? I feel terrible doing it.

She is in the bath as we speak so hopefully she is relaxing. I actually think she loves her baths.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:46 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

You could increase her daylight now (not too fast) but keep it below about 12 hours, and start to re introduce some layer pellets for protein. She will probably go into a moult so might start to look terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:20 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks again......I will increase her light by an hour a day. If her general condition does deteriorate I will keep in mind that it could be a moult and hopefully not her prolapse.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Just thought I would up date how things are going. It has been 23 days since the prolapse. Day 11 I thought I should take Min Choo to the vet as I was worried that she should go on antibiotics in case any infection...... well........her prolapse had formed a kind of scab all over it which seemed to be stopping the prolapse from going back in. To my horror the vet pulled it off. He applied Neocort (antibiotics, Anti-inflammatory, anaesthetic Skin Emollient Cream) and to my dismay pushed it back in and it stayed. He put her on oral antibiotics for 7 days and I continued to bathe her in the morning and washed her in the evening and applied the Neocourt each time. I did this for 3 days as I had read that creams with any "caine" products were harmful so I was a bit concerned. After the 3 days I only washed her vent morning and night and then applied Proctosedyl Heamorrhiod cream and a bit of vaseline just under her vent as her poop was sticking to her skin where I had cut her feathers. All the while I gave her the antibiotics and limited her daylight hours to under 10 hours a day and let her out to run with the girls from late morning till bed time. At day 19 I let her out fully in her pen,and stopped all treatment and 4 nights later all seems to be going well (fingers crossed). She never lost any condition and I think she looks better than when she first prolapsed. She did loose a little weight but I do not think that did her any harm. It has been a long 3 weeks but well worth the effort considering the result.

She certainly came to a loving, patient rescue home and we have become closer for it. After 2 years she will finally take food from my hand :clnava

Last edited by chookandlilly on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:02 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Well done... great result.