Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Full crop (watery) sick chook

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:46 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Breed: Plymouth Rock
Sex: F
Adelaide

Backyard flock of 3 chooks. We went away for a few weeks and had someone looking after them who didn't observe them as closely as we do. Upon our return 1 chook obviously sick, under weight, lethargic, drinking occasionally and every now and then eating but didn't look all that interested in eating. Upon closer inspection her crop was full (swollen) of a putrid liquid. I was going to try draining it but she had a seizure and died. This was 3 weeks ago.

I now have another chook who up until 3 days ago was ok, but now won't come out of her nesting box. When I kick her out she'll scratch around and explore the garden with the other chook, but is quick to return and has a strange look in her eye (almost like she's high or drunk). Checked her today and she has a temperature and her crop is now swollen also. It feels watery, but I haven't seen her expel anything orally. Otherwise looks healthy, no mites, no bald spots, looks hydrated, could do with a bit more weight but she's comparable to her sister. She did do a turd yesterday that gave my dog a run for her money (medium dog sized poo), she had to wiggle it out, wasn't sloppy, a slight sharp smell to it but not unlike normal chook poo. Breathing ok, normal lung sounds. Laid her last egg 3 days ago (usually lays one ever 2 days). Monthly medicated with Levamisole as directed since we got her.

They free range when we're home (usually each day), and we feed them a grain/pellet mixture as well as fresh kitchen scraps and cuttings from the garden.

So mostly the temperature (to touch - hot under the wings and warm crop), and full watery crop that is concerning me.

Ideas? I thought perhaps a crop infection but wouldn't expect that in 2 birds. Viral perhaps?

Ash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:17 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi Ashram

Have you checked the information on this site under impacted or sour crop?
Recommend you look at Sour Crop under Good Samaritan (sorry cannot seem to post link for some reason) for help.

Does her breath smell sour? Your description sounds like sour crop and means you will need to take her to a vet and have it emptied or be shown how to empty it yourself by the vet.

Massaging her crop with your hand after olive oil administered gently by beak with a dropper (being careful to keep her beak level and putting the drops into her beak rather than her throat so you don't force the oil down and cause her to choke) can help this. I have had a "lorp with this problem on and off for 5 years or so and she is still going strong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:16 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Sour crop is a possibility - possible causes are lawn cuttings and long' dry grass causing binding and blockage. She should have vet attention if possible. It also sounds as if she might be broody - typical behaviour, and broody poops are unforgettable.
Monthly worming is over kill and is likely to create resistance. 3 monthly (change of seasons) is adequate.