Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Green poo of death

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Green poo of death
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:35 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Some of you may recall the Blue Screen of death if you worked with computers in an office environ in the 90's.

This poo has for me predicted a similar outcome with chooks - once they get this they don't seem to get past it despite best veterinary intervention.

I have been told by one vet it indicates liver dysfunction,.

Any comments/experience/ theories gratefully accepted as I have an Araucana with this at present and weighing up what best to do.
http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/data ... death3.jpg

Last edited by TookTook on Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Green poo of death
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:37 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

sorry just can't at the mo get image within the post....grrrr mumble overtired I think!

this poo a few shades brighter than appearing in this photo - disturbingly so as not often seen (for me)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:05 am 

Wow, in my 32 years of having poultry on and off I have never see droppings like that before and from your experience I hope never to see it.
Hopefully someone here will be able to ID it so we can all take steps to avoid it.

Is there some form of weed that they may be eating that is causing liver damage?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:21 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I've only ever had 3-4 chooks with it over 7 years of chook keeping so I think it's physiological rather than environmental but good suggestion. My mother recently learnt from a new gardener that the gorgeous "Carrot weed" she had in the garden of her new house was actually hemlock - so it pays to know exactly what is growing in your garden.

The other birds were Polish and Japanese so I suppose I put it down to the lack of robustness that these particular rarer
breeds seem to have.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:12 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

*BUMP*

My girl is holding on.

Has no-one else ever had this poo? I notice it is not on the list of poo photos.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:20 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

My duck/goose poo is often a similar shade of green but with no ill effect. I assume that it is from something they have eaten - don't know what, there seem to be no consequences.
Green poop from a chook generally indicates food passing thru the digestive tract too fast and not being properly processed/absorbed. The green colour is from bile (liver malfunction). In humans (according to Dr Google it can indicate Salmonlla or Guardia (among other things).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:39 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Thanks Sue55.

I am finding wildly varying opinions on the net...mainly US sites.

eg treat it with Tylan50 (but why ? Is it bacterial?)

Or the bird has egg yolk peritonitis (this girl has not laid for about 5 years though she is only 6 years old) or feed them yohurt and buttermilk with Vit B and they will perk up!!

Issy has a constantly dirty black bum but other than that has always been very active lively and healthy for the last 5 years.

Now she has the lethargy described on US poultry sites with the bright green (almost fluro green - pic does not convey it
well ) poo.

I have had so many fruitless vet visits for this poo that I really feel I would be wasting my time and money taking Issy there but having said that if there is any chance at all and no one else has an alternative then that's what I will do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:39 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

As she is a 6 year old hen, my unprofessional guess would be an age related liver disease which is probably not curable. The lethargy is likely because she s not absorbing much nutrition from what she eats. Supplements like yoghurt might give her a temporary boost but if her body function is declining it will not cure her.
If you take her to a vet ask if a culture is advisable - if you have seen this before in your flock maybe you should eliminate anything bacterial as the cause.
Just had another look at the pic - are there Tape Worm segments?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:30 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Ah good call Sue - sadly I read this post AFTER the vet visit today.:(

I spent a few hours online last night trying to figure out (1) the genders of my mixed hatch of chicks (will save for a different post) and (2) the potential cause and cure of the Green Poo of Death (maybe). Bacterial is v likely acc to majority of sites so that is the direction I went in.

Vet has prescribed Baytril and crop feeding as Issy is feeling a bit thin ... can't get any Vetafarm Critta Care at short notice (and Vet oddly does not carry it) so will mix up my own slurry of Chick feed and Vetafarm SoluvetD and get instructions from the vet on how to do a crop feed.

Issy snatched at lettuce leaves like her old self this arvo after the vet (and Baytril!) so fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:46 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

My Araucana is definitely improving a bit more each day on the Baytril ...got herself up on the perch for the first time in over a week and actually RAN to food today. Still thin and still some green poos but also a good big brown one today so definitely headed in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:35 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,
My dear chookie had a similar poop this week. I do a mixture of natural Greek yogurt (2 heaped soup spoons), honey (about 1 good teaspoon) drizzled over the top and a few sprinkles of small oats. She has had it as soon as she comes out of the pen in the morning for 3 days now. Yogurt is good bacteria for the gut, honey is a natural antibiotic and the oats are for interest. She loves it and her poop is normal again. I give it to my girls when they are sick but they just love it in general too. I am no expert but it has helped me. It is not a cure for serious illness. I had a duck who had poop like this and she died from egg yolk peritonitis which I did not know she had until it was too late. The green poop was at her last few days.

Maybe it may help along with the Baytril.

Last edited by chookandlilly on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:13 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Thanks so much ChookandLilly - funnily enough I bought yoghurt with the intention of re-establishing her gut flora after the Baytril...and forgot! I do like the idea of a natural remedy and will also try the honey (had not thought of that!)

Thanks again! :th

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:49 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Good luck. I hope Issy gets better soon :pray .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:07 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Thanks again - Baytril has helped a lot and Issy is back in the coop ehich though great, makes it more challenging to check if her poop is overly green or not...shall persevere though! :)