Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Full crop

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Full crop
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:54 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm concerned one of my chooks' crop is enlarged and heavy.

I managed to pull some banked up poop from some of the chooks, but I don't know if she was one of them.

They all eat well premium quality feed.

I'm concerned she may have a partial blocked digestive causing it.

What do you think it is and how do I threat it.

Kind Regards
Jason

Post subject: Re: Full crop
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:57 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Is it like this all the time or is it empty in the morning? Does her breath smell?
Have they been wormed and with what (banked up poop)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:17 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Not sure if it's different from morning til night, but I just wormed them with "Aristopet poultry wormer" contains levamisole hydrochloride.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:31 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I feed them all through the day, when ever I think they may be hungry.

Could I be over feeding them?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:51 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

They are unlikely to overeat. If they do they will be over weight. Feel the crop tomorrow morning, before they eat. If all is OK it should be empty. If it is still full, there is a problem.
Do they have access to grit or small stones (not shell grit)?
Are they eating grain or pellets?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:58 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

If the crop hard and doesn't go down overnight, then it might be a sign of an impacted crop. Check on her first thing in the morning and see what it feels like, if it's still large and firm, that's what it's likely to be. Treatments generally start with withholding food but giving water and grit, and massaging the crop periodically, however some do require surgery to clear the impaction.

If the crop is squishy and her breath smells sour or generally bad, then it can indicate sour crop. Sour crop is generally caused by fungal infections in the crop. Some suggest tipping up the bird to get the sour contents out, but I'd avoid it as it can cause the chook to aspirate the contents and die. Aim for Nilstat drops (an oral thrush treatment for humans) and feed a good natural yoghurt with probiotics. Nilstat dosage as per nostress here: viewtopic.php?p=805973#p805973 is 1ml per kg of body weight.

If the crop is pretty huge and floppy like a water balloon, then it might be a pendulous crop. As far as I'm aware any management for pendulous crop (usually involving supporting the crop with something they wear) isn't great in the long term and other than that I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done, as it's a physical problem as far as I'm aware.

As for your chook, you'll need to assess it further to know what the problem is, if there is an issue. Check the crop early morning and go from there. If it's small, then there is most likely no problem. :)

*edited to add* Just had a thought, given it's likely your other birds have a fungal skin infection, giving them all a good quality natural yoghurt probably wouldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:41 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

It's like a pendulum, but not big. I give them natural yogurt and they love it.

Is that enough or should I give a regular treat of Nilstat so where do I get it from or should I by not concerned if?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:59 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

How frustrating! One of my hens had a pendulous crop. Couple of months ago. The crop was practically dragging on the ground.
We starved her for a day. Then let her out. It didn't improve so we tried again. She has been fine since. Don't lose hope!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:51 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

To try to answer your initial question
" What do you think it is and how do I threat it?."
we really need more information.

Feel the crop tomorrow morning, before they eat. If all is OK it should be empty. If it is still full, there is a problem.
If the crop hard and doesn't go down overnight,
If the crop is squishy and her breath smells sour or generally bad,
If the crop is pretty huge and floppy like a water balloon,
Do they have access to grit or small stones (not shell grit)?
Are they eating grain or pellets?
Sometimes birds with a worm burden tend to gorge (to try to replace the body condition lost to parasites) - Check her body condition. Is she bony or well fleshed? Over time this may cause the crop to stretch and eventually become pendulous. Check her poop. Levamisole does not treat all poultry worms.

There is no point in dosing her with Nilstat if she does not have a fungal infection
Pendulous crop and impacted crop may be caused by diet - hence the questions - grain or pellets? Hard grit (not shell grit)?
Sour crop may also be caused by something she has eaten. One culprit may be grass clippings,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:01 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I checked first thing before I feed her and it was just a size smaller than a golf ball.

I wouldn't think isn't hard of too soft and her breath doesn't smell.

They have the run of a reasonable sized back yard and I don't give them grit.

They are eating premium quality grain

They are using "Aristopet poultry wormer", which contains levamisole hydrochloride.

She seems in good health otherwise and shows no external signs of fungus.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:21 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks for your response.
The grain/grit question was because the bird needs grit in it's crop in order to grind the grain. If they have access to backyard they probably find sufficient small stones
As she seems to have no other symptoms, I would continue to monitor her and would feed her good quality layer pellets rather than grain. They are more easily digested and will give her a protein boost. Better quality pellets will supply a minimum of 15-18% protein. The idea is to get the food moving thru as quickly as possible - sometimes (but not always) the crop will return to a more normal size.
First thing in the morning the crop should be empty if everything is working properly - keep an eye on it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:34 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I will stave her for a full day?

Then feed her layer pellets the next day.

Should I be feeding layer pellets to all my chooks?

Should I be mixing it half pellets half grain?

I will get them grit just to be sure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:00 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Layer pellets will offer better nutrition for your chooks as they are a fully balanced, complete diet. A grain diet rarely provides sufficient protein for egg production without drawing from body reserves (there is about 6g of protein in one egg). If a hen in full production (or re feathering after a moult) can't draw this protein straight from her diet, she needs to synthesize it from other resources and will consequently also need to eat more. The general recommendation is to provide free access to pellets all day (80% of diet) and to use grain as a treat. Grain Mixes are often labeled 'Scratch Mix" and are exactly that - they fulfill a chooks need to scratch and forage. The chooks will select their grain of choice and not get a nutritious balance.
If you mix the two products, they will probably pick out the grain and reject the pellets. (think kids and lollies).
It is likely that they will turn up their noses at pellets at first - persevere, no chook ever voluntarily died of starvation, or try a mash such as Lauke 17 - most chooks love it. It's a balanced blend of grains and small pellets which are difficult to separate.
Good luck with the crop issue.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:44 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks heaps.

I did have troubles like you said, fussy eaters and would touch the pellets and I thought the bag says premium mix so I thought premium means best and all they need.

I though pellets were a cheap alternative.

Seems I'll have to stave them until they eat the pellets.