Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Help! can anybody tell me what this is.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:43 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Attachment:
031.JPG
031.JPG [ 318.51 KiB | Viewed 1733 times ]

I found a small pile of pink plasticiny globs in a nesting box this morning, obviously passed by one of my hens. None of them seem distressed, despite what looks to me like a passed tumour.
any advice appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:03 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Maybe ovarian cysts, or something like that?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:09 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

It all looks a bit wetter and softer than 'lash eggs', but it might still be the same thing. They aren't eggs obviously, it's just the name given to the stuff that is passed when a hen has an ovarian tumour or Salpingitis (an infection of the oviduct). I'm not sure if it really happens that often without an underlying problem being the cause.

If you cut one open and it looks like a layered mix of different material, then it's likely a lash egg caused by an underlying infection. The stuff is usually a mix of pus, the lining of the oviduct and sometimes bits of what becomes the egg. However in most photos I've seen, it usually looks a lot more solid and waxy looking, but that might just be the result of an extended infection. Treatment for bacterial causes of Salpingitis are good antibiotics from the vet. It can have a viral cause, in which case there isn't anything you can do, as is the case if it's the result of ovarian tumours.

It might just be a once off, but usually any sloughing off of the internal linings don't happen in such a large volume, and usually occur when they poop (eg, intestinal lining).

I think the only real option would be a course of antibiotics to try and take care of any infection, otherwise it'd just be a wait and see.

Argh, sorry, the above is utter gibberish, I didn't realise just how tired I am, lol. Hopefully it makes some sort of vague sense, even if I'm wrong on what it might be!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:56 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Made sense to me!

I guess the challenge is to identify which hen it was. I'd pick each one up to see if any are noticeably underweight (a sign of a chronic illness).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:23 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you very much for that; and it makes sense to me. I have one Isa; she has been laying very large eggs lately, but did not lay that day. Will check her for weight. I had an Isa a couple of years back who developed a very large tumour - I thought she was eggbound. While they are great layers, the tumour issue is pretty confronting.
Thanks again.