Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Rooster unbalanced , Runny Poo, running while squawking?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:58 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

[b]Hi, my two year old silver laced Wyandotte Roo, who is usually really calm and very good with his girls, has been behaving strangely for the past week.[/b]
he's leaning back on his legs head low with his head down but looking up and squawking. then pounces forward in a run with his wings out like he's running away or towards something but there's nothing there? He'll walk in a semi circle looking down to one side like he's seeing things on the ground and lose balance slightly. he does this in spurts through out the day? he's started crowing again i hadn't heard him for a few days... his usually yellow legs are pale but his comb is still red? his poo is runny.. I wormed them last night and dusted and cleaned out the pen changed the straw etc as i hadn't been able to do it for a while and i had noticed a big red mite and black mite infestation.. everything is all good in the pen now and I'm putting a Symbiotic in there feed along with a booster (vitamins) so i was going to wait a few days see if that has helped.. he is eating and drinking, not as politely as usual he's not really showing the girls where the feed is.. he seems okay otherwise(this is what is making me think worms) my other girls have lost weight... and my silkie looks to be molting (she's 5)
has anybody else experienced this?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:28 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Sounds like worms are a possibility although his behaviour also suggests something neurological. What worming product have you treated them with?

It would also help us if you could give some more specific information. Click on the link below and copy and paste your answers back here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7955698#p88064

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:51 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

he's roughly 2 years old, I don't feed them many scraps but when i do it's usually rice (not often) lettuce mix, cucumber etc i never give onions, potatoes or anything that is on the toxic list.
The droppings are not too bad smelling but he has been doing a mixture of small semi solid poos and then really watery ones with slithers of solid white bits or oat green colours. his breathing is fine. he's eating like he's starving when he usually takes a step back for the girls.. he's only like that in the morning feed after that he's not to bothered about food (he acts normal). his leg colour is pale but his comb is normal. he is crowing and still tending to his ladies with his head held high and chest out, he is slightly wobbly at times. he sits a bit more than usually but not constantly, i have treated him with Kilverm through his drinking water and am putting Synbiotic and perfect poultry with there scratch in the morning, his poo was small this morning but definitely alot more solid.. he runs around in a panic every now like they do when there's danger and then stops suddenly and he's fine, somebody suggested he may have an ear infection?? his pen has been cleaned and treated for mites with the dusting powder...this is all the info I can muster??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:23 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

You said "scratch in the morning" Is this their main source of food? This is important!
" and"slivers of white bits" ? tapeworm segments?

http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/g710 ... pings.html

Kilverm (Levamisole Hydrochloride) only treats roundworm in poultry, not the full spectrum of worms
I would start by ordering some Moxidectin Plus (kills internal worms - including Tapeworm, which is carried by many foraged bugs including snails and slaters,) as well as treating external parasites (lice and mites). available online from http://www.geckodan.com/ or from the Knox Bird Clinic.
Alternative wormers which cover tape worm are Avitrol Plus and Worm Out. Both of these should be available at a pet or produce store.
Treat them all and do a follow up dose in 2 - 3 weeks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:28 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I did look at the pictures of the worms in the poo droppings i couldn't see any.. the white colouring in his poo isnt worms but i will look into getting the worming you suggested thank you :-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:25 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Ok. If he and the hens don't pick up soon please get back to us.
Lice and mites cause anaemia. Make sure they are eating a high protein layer pellet or mash.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:30 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

danion81 wrote:
I wormed them last night and dusted and cleaned out the pen changed the straw etc as i hadn't been able to do it for a while and i had noticed a big red mite and black mite infestation.. everything is all good in the pen now

Watch out those mites don't return. They can be very persistent and a single dusting is often not enough to eradicate them. The next generation may return.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:02 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

my hens are doing well and the Roos tail is lifting he still walks looking down to his right for a second (like he's trying to see something near his feet and then runs around squawking then he's settled for an hour or so and crowing like normal... I'm thinking her may have an ear infection so I'll keep an eye on him :-)