Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What causes Blue-tinge on Combs?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:20 pm 

This is a picture of one of my roosters. He has this blue tinge on his comb which comes and goes, gets bigger then smaller, disappears, reappears. He has had it for several weeks. None of the other roosters have it nor any of the hens. He otherwise appears very well. Eats well, runs well etc. He is free ranged over an acre with plenty of water and fed a mix of commercial chicken food, veggie scraps and the odd grasshopper or two. Has been wormed, fleaed, de-mited, every other product in the stock store-ed and is still blue.

Naturally I can't show him in this condition.

Any suggestions on what it may be?

Attachment:
File comment: Brown Leghorn
PZ018166.jpg
PZ018166.jpg [ 96.59 KiB | Viewed 1028 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:44 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I can see what you mean. I've always assumed that effect was just wear and tear. Perhaps someone else will know more as I don't show.

Is he a pullet-breeding strain of Brown Leghorn? If so he might be good to breed pullets but the males are meant to be a cockerel-breeding strain I think?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:54 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

OK, so I am no expert, but I thought bluing of the comb might indicate cyanosis. Which in turn I think means he is not getting enough blood supply/oxygen to the tips of the comb - which must be quite a big ask in a leghorn at the best of times. So, from my amateurish standpoint I'd be thinking poor circulation. Which might either be from something respiratory which you might be able to deduce if you could separate him and listen to his breathing and monitor him for individual food/water intake. Or maybe it could be something internal/heart related which must be harder to spot. Sorry for not being more helpful or precise, but that's where my blue comb thinking would be leading. I'm interested in other's opinions, in case I am barking up completely the wrong tree.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:09 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Mrs Biscuit is right that it could be an indication for a respiratory problem or a heart issue. On the other hand, there are birds that just get a blue tinge on their comb without suffering from a major health issue. I don't know of anything that could be done to change that permanently.
Check whether his breathing is normal. If there is no problem I'd just watch and see.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:33 pm 

His breathing seems fine and today he cleaned up another (much bigger) rooster so I think if it was a heart thing he wouldn't be that active?

I believe he is cb line. He has won shows before. Do you think it might be an aging thing? He is roughly 4 years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:46 pm 

Photo of the same bird in spring. As you can see there is a massive difference.

Attachments:
File comment: Same Brown Leghorn 3months ago
PZ016554.jpg
PZ016554.jpg [ 153.28 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:26 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

It could be nothing. If his breathing is normal and if he seems to be healthy otherwise as well, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I've had a hen with that problem and she lived quite happily for almost 10 years.