Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Heavy rooster Knee split.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:07 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

My Asil cock I have recently purchased seems to have a hole/scab right in the joint of his knee at the front where it bends. Has this happened to any one else that keeps game birds. He was previously on wet muddy ground and both feet are bumbled Im just trying to get him back into some good health.
Ill try attach some pictured tonight.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Some pics

Attachments:
IMG_5847.JPG
IMG_5847.JPG [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 652 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:01 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It looks a bit old and necrotic. I wonder if is a tethering injury?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:12 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Ow, that looks rough.

Your best bet to aid healing is to fill the wound with either a hydrogel or hydrocolloid gel.

Given how dry it looks, I'd probably go for a hydrogel like IntraSite gel, as it can rehydrate the wound a bit quicker, allowing the body to debride it naturally and heal properly. You will need to clean, re-apply and wrap daily. If he's out with the rest of the flock the wrapping might be a bit more roughed up though.

Hydrocolloids like Duoderm are good too, however they tend to need a moister wound to work well (although less of an issue with the gels). They are beneficial though as they create a barrier for the wound and are a bit more durable, which is good for outdoor roaming. They can be left a few days between cleaning, re-application and wrapping too. However, if the wound is as dry as it looks it might not be as effective.

You can always start with a hydrogel and then go to a hydrocolloid as healing progresses. Given he has Bumblefoot I'd do the same with those wounds too. It will all take time to heal, but with a bit of effort you'll get him there.

Other than wound care, avian vitamins never go astray. Hopefully you can get him all healed up nicely. Keep us updated, I'd be interested in seeing how he progresses.

Best of luck. :clnava

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Bumble foot and the leg done today, I recon it will be about 3 hours before he rips through the one on the leg. The ones on his foot he seems ok with tho. He's in moult so it's probly annoying him.

Attachments:
IMG_5849.JPG
IMG_5849.JPG [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 634 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:21 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Looks like he is getting good care. How have you treated the bumble foot?
What Azira said - keep us posted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:35 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The bumbles I opened up and got out as much as I could out a few days ago and got a gel from the vet, one foot is healing up nicely but I had to open the other one up today and think I've got all of it out just put they antiseptic gell on again until my terramycin arrives in the post. He's pretty brutal on the vettape tho so have to change it a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:27 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

He's getting so used to the aircon, he just stands on the bench and let's me re wrap his feet.
All starting to look better.

Attachments:
IMG_5869.JPG
IMG_5869.JPG [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 589 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:28 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Not sure if it is of any use, but I had an 8 week old chick with an injury in the same spot on the knee (he was bitten by a dog though). I took him to the vet and she cleaned the wound and glued it together. A week or so later it split again and had gone pretty hard, so I soaked it with a cotton bud and saline until it went soft and then just pushed the edges of the wound together and dripped some more superglue on it. Once it was dry I bandaged it tight enough that he had to keep his knee straight. It took about 2 months before it healed properly, and I had to keep a bandage on it the whole time. It's a tricky spot because it bends and splits open again and they pull the scab off every chance they get.