Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Black spots on comb and indented black spot on comb

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 4:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:52 pm 

Hello I have five girls and have noticed today that my head hen has got an indented black spot on her comb. She is also appearing to have the "sneezes". She is otherwise fine - eating drinking and laying consistently. She has probably been sneezing a few times a day for a week. The others only have some "spots" and I'm not sure if it's a problem or part of their being mixed breeds / aging process however I suspect the indented black spot isn't normal. It's quite possible she burnt herself at the bbq this morning but I didn't see her do that. I can pretty much say with confidence that the black indented spot was not there yesterday but the black spots/marks have in fact one I washed the other day and they came off - so just dirt I didn't do them all though. and there have been no blisters or anything of the sort there prior. I inspect them regularly. Happy to upload pics for some guidance or advice just not sure how to do it.
Many thanks
Haylie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:54 pm 

I probably should add they are 20 weeks. Three appear to be lohman crosses and one is australorp cross and the other a New Hampshire. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:48 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

It sounds like Fowl Pox. Here is some info about it: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8024981

Having looked through that, does that match your birds' symptoms?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:55 pm 

It doesn't look like any of those photos. The only similar symptom is one has a sneeze. None have had any blistery or puss like lesions at all. Just this sudden appearance of black spots. I've taken photos but don't know how I add them for you to look at? None of them are off their feed or appear lethargic. One had a crop problem a couple of weeks back but completely unrelated and that has resolved itself. They are all happy eating drinking and free ranging. I'm just not sure if it's that or not. I'm new to all this so I'm completely clueless for real answers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:10 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It does sound like a mild dry pox. Basic treatment is Betadine and a good diet. They will recover without any treatment and the good news is that they will then be immune to that strain. Main cause is mosquito bites. Occassionally they will be more severely affected but most cases are only mild with no complications. Fowl Pox is not contagious to humans.
Some pics here. Click on the images to enlarge them
http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/g701-fowlpox.html

Another possibility is stick fast fleas - they look like little black scabs. Spray a little avian insecticide (or flyspray) on a cotton bud and dab it on a black dot - if it is a stick fast flea it will react

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:58 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

V interested in this thread as my otherwise v healthy 'Lorp periodically gets black spots on her comb and in 7 years I have never worked out why. Saw them again this morning. But then they vanish - mysteriously ? with no change in said hen behaviour.

Here's hoping yours is just a passing thing too Hays. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:30 pm 

I'm another post someone said theirs was from pecking from other hens so it reoccurring perhaps it could be this?
Thanks everyone the black spots are still there but will try the method above thanks so much!