Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Mites in the coop

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mites in the coop
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:50 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Attachment:
rps20170327_203625_778.jpg
rps20170327_203625_778.jpg [ 124.87 KiB | Viewed 416 times ]

Can i use this product for the mites and lice in chicken coop?
I was cleaning their coop the other day and i felt something crawning on my neck. I looked around and noticed some tiny mites in the gaps and around the door, some whitish, some red. I assume that they are red mites.
I powdered the chichens and the coop , most of them are dead ( i can see them on the white surface), but there are still some live ones.
I've also red on the other forum than someone sprayed the chichens with mortein, the one from the supermarkets and never ever had a problem with this issue again.
What do you suggest?

Post subject: Re: Mites in the coop
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:29 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

i have used bombs in the house and often use cheap surface spray on the perches etc. But you still need to treat the chooks with something. I wouldn't be too happy using fly spray on the chooks, but have used pestene, rottenone vege dust and ivomectin with success.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:31 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The bomb will be OK The active ingredient is permethrin which is pretty safe. Do the empty pen in the morning and don't let the chooks back in for a few hours and after it has been aired.
re the Mortein - my advice is not to spray your poultry with any thing you wouldn't spray the kids with. A Permethrin dip will kill any live critters and has some residual effect, however if the problem is Red Mite, they do not live or breed on the chooks but come out of hiding at night to feed on the birds.
The Dectins are toxic to blood suckers so may be effective - don't know for how long after administration.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:03 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for the quick response , will do that in the morning.
I also powdered the chichens and the coop with Pestene powder,but powder doesn't really go in every single hiding sports and gaps where those creatures live. I just hope the bomb works better. I bought a packet of 4 and hopefully this will kick their heads off. I red also somewhere about some pour on product that can be placed on the back of their neck, but it's not the one for dogs and cats!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The pour on will be one of the Dectins (probably Cydectin for sheep or cattle) You may be able to get a small quantity dispensed by your vet, otherwise it tends to be sold in 'herd' quantities and has quite a short use by date so it would be cost effective to get some Moxidectin Plus from the Knox Bird Clinic (will post) or Gecko Dan (on line) This is direct dosed by weight and will also treat internal and external blood sucking parasites'.
Check your birds first. Unless they have lice or need worming the Red Mites will be dealt with by the bomb.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:31 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I set the bomb this morning!!
As i mentioned before i powdered all the chichens and i can't see any on the actual bird, but i went to check last night with the light and could see some on the top of the chicken's feathers , talking about silkies (white), so there are still some live ones there, will check tonight again to see if the bomb did the job.
The bomb bottle says; up to 3 months protection. Does it mean that the coop will be without any creatures ( coco roaches, moskitos, flies) etc.. for 3 month. That is actually great!!
Thanks all for the help!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:40 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The bomb will leave a surface residue so that although it is unlikely to repel (eg flies. mossies), it should kill anything it contacts so the pen should not be a breeding ground for at least 3 months