Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - sickly chook

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 8:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sickly chook
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:09 pm 

i have a chook 18 months old that is sickly, iwent into the pen today to find her just laying on the floor at first i thought she was dead but no, she is very lethargic but can stand she doesnt move around just finds a spot and lays there, i picked her up and she is very thin hardly any meat on the breast at all.

i have had a good look at her and can find nothing on her like lice etc,when i fed them i had to put the sweetcorn under her beak but she did eat some,''i believe i have been giving them to much ''other '' food so they have not been eating there mash or the seed mix but my other girls are fine.

This did happen last year when i went to the UK in OCT/NOV my wife phoned to say that this was happening ,i told her to give the chook a cpl days which she did but no reponse from her and my next door neighbour was going to do the deed for me but i said just give her another day ,and lo and behold my wife went into the pen the next day and she was fine and has been ever since.

I am asking anyone who may have had the same problem or who may possibly have some advice for me,what i am going to do now is clean all the pen and use diatomaceous earth to clean it and powder the nesting boxes etc, i do put a worming fluid and the cider vinegar in there water, the vinegar every time i change the water ,every 2 to 3 days and the worming fluid every month approx,but i will ''unless told different'' put some worming fluid down her throat with an eye dropper as she may not be drinking.

Please help as i dont want to put her down, i did have them for eggs but i only get one a day from the three girls an occasional two, i have never had three eggs a day since i had them 16 months ago, now i just love them as they come and sit with me when i go into the pen they love a cuddle, they are asa browns if that helps with any advice,my wife thinks i am silly with them and i suppose i do spoil them which may be part of the problem.Any help appreciated

cheers Richard H

Post subject: Re: sickly chook
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:25 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Richard, sorry your chook is unwell.

A few of things come immediately to mind.
1 - if her condition is poor she has been unwell for some time (chooks are very good at hiding poor health as it makes them vulnerable to predators).
2 - ISA are bred for very high production - realistically you should have been expecting 3 eggs a day most days for at least the first 12 months after commencement of lay.
3 - Highly productive chooks need a high protein diet to support laying. At least 80 % of their diet should comprise of at least 15% protein layer feeds (pellets are preferred so that they cannot select just their favourite grains).
4 - A hybrid layer (ISA) which has been productive is likely to decline in health after her second laying season - by then she is an old woman and beginning to suffer reproductive system breakdown.

Start by
Check her vent for any sign of prolapse or egg binding.
Smell both ends.
Check her poop for signs of worms. Monthly worming is probably overkill (4 x yearly is generally recommended) but most OTC liquids do not treat Tape Worm.
Separate her and encourage her to eat. Try her pellets made into a warm mash. You can also try to tempt her with tinned cat food. Avian vitamins in her water may also help.
Stop using the ACV. If she has sour crop it will make it worse.
Worming her is probably a good idea but you need to use a product which covers Tape Worm as well as the other poultry worms. The Products which do this are Worm Out (tabs or gel) Avitrol Plus (Bird needs to be fasted first so I would avoid this one - she needs to eat) or Moxidectin Plus - available on line from Gecko Dan -The Chook Shop http://www.geckodan.com/the-chookshop/
or the Knox Bird Clinic - both post promptly

I know that you have already covered some of the questions but please click on the link below and copy and paste your answers back here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7955698

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:51 pm 

thanks sue,
i looked at her tonight and she is not at all well, i have ordered the vitamins and moxidectin as you suggested not sure if it will be in time to help her though but it will be ok for my other girls,how do i check the ''vent''?, i will post all i notice of her tomorrow if she is still with us ,i do hope she survives.I did give all my girls some wormer by mouth dropper to be sure they have had some, i will tell you the product when i answer the questions tomorrow.Once again thanks for the advice,they are my pets not just egg layers,i really didnt think that i would like them like i do ha ha ,but then again i love all my pets
thanks richard h

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:08 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Check the vent - have a look at the 'working bits' under her tail. Are there any bits hanging out or swollen/inflamed? Any strong smells or discharge? There should just be gentle movements and good muscle closure with everything internal contained internally. You will know if it looks wrong. If you need to, compare with another of your hens.
Keep her warm and comfortable, encourage her but don't force her to eat and drink and good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:19 am 

hi sue, just been in to look at her,she is standing though not attempting to walk, i did put her in her nesting box last night to restrict her movements as i knew she could not climb down so this wouldgive her rest,, they are 16 months old ,asa browns, hens, her symptoms are she is lethargic no sign of lice or mites externally,i feed them all a mix of poulry grower crumble and a seed poultry mix called red hen blue, pics attached'' also a pic of her droppings which are green, i am also aware that they have diarrhea and i admit they often do,no respiratory changes,she is not eating at all or maybe a small amount only,,she is extremely thin,down to the bone in fact when i feel her breast its just a breastbone no meat on her,i checked her vent and its so very small i dont think she has, or even could pass an egg,i can feel the bone both side of her vent, '' i need to compare with her with the others which i will do ,behaviour change, well she is just not getting about just laying down though was standing his morning but not attempting to walk,no agility,i must admit my worming schedhule is non existant as being regular ,i have just wormed them physically with an eye dropper ''all of them'',
Just checked her vent again comparing it with the others,she has such a small vent in comparison but it does not smell no discharge and it has good muscle movement,when looking at the others one was fine the other when i exposed her vent there was a ''bubble'' on it which retreated back into the vent and then all looked good though hers also was not as large as the other bird,but they were all clean and no smells.As i said she did suffer the same back in last October/November but recovered well,can a bird just not be able to lay ?
thanks Sue waiting for your reply

Attachments:
IMG_1003.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG [ 2.27 MiB | Viewed 290 times ]
IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG [ 2.06 MiB | Viewed 290 times ]
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG [ 2.3 MiB | Viewed 290 times ]
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1001.JPG [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 290 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:39 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks for the feedback and at least she is still alive and no major decline.
The two sharp bones either side of her vent are the pelvic bones. They will be about 2 fingers apart if she is laying and her comb and wattles will be quite red. Like any animal, occasional chooks are very poor layers or may never lay.
The green poo is coloured by bile which indicates that food is not being processed.
Lethargy, loss of condition, lameness and diarrhea can indicate a worm burden so treat all of the chooks when the wormer arrives and do a follow up dose in about 2 weeks.
The Red hen blue is a good product but I would take them off the grower and just offer the layer feed. If they pick out the good bits from the Blue and leave other bits (often the pellets), try the Red Hen 17. It is a higher spec feed than the Blue, looks similar but is harder to select the favourite bits.
Make a damp mix with your grower feed and pop some tiny bits into her mouth but don't force too much at one time. Small amounts frequently are best. Hopefully this may give her some energy and encourage her to eat. It will also get some fluids into her. You can give her small amounts of water with an eye dropper but don't squirt it down her throat. A couple of drops into her mouth and raise her beak tip. You should see her swallow.
Another option is crop feeding. I have not done it so won't give advice but if you do a search on this site you should find some info.
A vet visit may be worth considering but keep in mind that some animals just don't recover so be prepared to euthanize her if she does not improve.

Doesn't matter if your wife thinks that you are silly.Jjust reassure her that you would give her the same care if she needed it and buy her a special Easter Egg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:33 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Have you checked her crop, is it full and hard, soft and squishy, or is there nothing in it?

If it's empty you could also try the rickets diet here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7975135

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:07 am 

thanks jon, her crop at the moment is empty as she stopped eating, right now ''this morning'' she is eating some food,i have been hand feeding her and also giving her water with a dropper,she seems to be picking up as when i put her back down in the nesting box she did eat some cooked oats on her own,its a wait and see game i think but thanks for your input i will look at the rickets diet
cheers R H

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:22 pm 

sadly ''clover'' passed away last night despite all my efforts like hand feeding etc, when i went into the pen yesterday i started to feed her some mash made of the pellets and she was actually getting better''or so i thought'' as she started to peck at the food herself and eat, but to no avail .
I would like to thank Sue and Jon for there advice on this matter, i shall miss her ''silly i know'' but she always came and sat with me when i went into the chook pen she was a very friendly girl, i think there was something wrong with her inside as i dont think she had ever laid an egg,her vent was very small.Thats life isnt it but its a learning experience, i know only have the two girls and am still only getting one egg a day, any advice on introducing another ,is there a right/wrong way to do it ?
thanks again for your help
cheers RH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:28 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Sorry to hear that mate, it's always sad when our favourites go. You did your best for her.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:43 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

RIP Clover