Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Autopsy timeframe

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Autopsy timeframe
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:12 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Everyone,
I've had a unknown illness in my flock for a while now and I have arranged with my vet for a full autopsy to be done on my next death. I noticed one of my Orpington girls a bit off yesterday and she sat facing the corner of the shed and at 4pm that after noon she died. I gathered up and put her in a plastic bag and put her straight in the fridge.
My question is im going to spend a lot of money on getting this done but I'm concerned that her passing away on Easter Sunday means I can't get the autopsy done till Tuesday when my vet opens after the Easter break which will be about 48 hours after she passed. Will this time delay still give me a accurate diagnosis of what is killing my birds one by one? I know I can just ask this question of my vet on Tuesday morning but wanted others opinions.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Autopsy timeframe
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:51 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

My vet won't do a necropsy on a bird unless they can do it on the day of death. After that the tissues are already too altered/deteriorated (even if the bird is immediately put in the fridge) to make it worth doing really detailed analyses. You can still look at the organs, which may reveal something but might also be of no real value. Anyway, that's my vet's position on it...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:49 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ok thanks for that Rach.
I'm just soooo sick of losing birds and I have absolutely no idea what is. I've been breeding chickens for 30 years and this has me stumped. I'm pretty clued up when it comes to poultry diseases but whatever this is it's nothing I've seen before in my time. Have tried Tylan tablets but nothing seems to stop it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:31 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

That is no good at all....

Is it an option to 'sacrifice' an ill bird before it dies of its own accord so the vet can do a detailed necropsy with all the tests? Not a nice thing to do when you're hoping for no more deaths...but it might provide some answers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:29 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes that's what I might do I think. I need to get the most accurate diagnosis so I can hopefully treat it. I hold grave fears though as tylan tablets are the top of the tree when it comes to antibiotics and they did nothing.