Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Older Chook care

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Older Chook care
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:45 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I've got an older chook (3.5 years). She stopped laying a few weeks back. Always been a healthy chooken - shes a white leghorn. She wont eat the pellets anymore and not grain either. She will eat treats from us - but is fussy. I'm giving her fresh stuff, egg, tuna, nothing fatty.

She's also moulting at the moment. She seems pretty happy and got OK energy right not but if I didn't tempt her to eat she wouldn't be having much at all. Some poos are normal and some not. I'm giving her Poly Aid Plus which has a probiotic and multi-vitamin. I think she is drinking water.

I was wondering is she sick or are there symptoms of moulting - like going off food - that I'm not aware of. Or do chooks just not need to eat as much once they stop laying?

She's sleeping in the laundry (which is loves) and getting a late night snack of food from the fridge and a sticky beak n cuddle (all of which she also loves!)

Be sad if its time for her to go. She's a dear friend of ours. Thanks for your help anyone/everyone :)

Post subject: Re: Older Chook care
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:27 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hello suzanneflowerday and welcome to BYP

At 31/2 yrs your leghorn chook is middle aged rather than than elderly (unless she is an ISA or a commercial hybrid). She has probably stopped laying because she is moulting and if she remains healthy may recommence laying when the days become longer again in the Spring. Occasionally hens lose interest in food when they moult however in order to re feather and prepare to lay again it is important that they eat a well balanced diet. I am concerned that maybe something else is causing her to lose interest in food.
Could you please click on the link below and copy and paste your answers back here. Also check her vent for anything unusual, feel her crop (full/empty), sniff both ends.
It would be best for her if you can encourage her to eat some 'chook food' Try making a warm mash with some pellets, hot water, tuna or good quality tinned cat food or cooked egg. She needs something for energy as well as the protein.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7955698
She sounds well loved and very cared for. I hope we can help her.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:56 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi there, thanks for your helpful reply. I think there is something else wrong.

We are in Northern NSW. Her comb is starting to get floppy. I am doing all the things you suggest - she doesn't get junk food. Maybe a few oats once every 2-3 days late at night if she really hasn't eaten much at all. She is liking a bit of scrambled egg, tuna, raw carrot and other veggies if they are chopped really small. I think she is drinking. her crop is never really full. She had little tiny shiny black crawly things ( they all did) so I dusted her yesterday. And we pulled down their old house and built them a new one (time for an upgrade) on the weekend. Although she is sleeping in our laundry every night at the moment. For the warm mash do I just take the pellets and add water and offer it to her like that? Or do you mean to add the other foods in with the mash and warm water? I will get some catfood. She did have a bit of beef sausage the other day (bit fatty tho') and wouldn't let the other chooks come near it. She is still bathing and preening. I'm hoping that she'll come through with the extra care and vitamins. Yes we do love her. She's a dear little bird. Used to be really naughty when she was younger! On of the other older chooks (an australorp also don't eat much at the moment. I'm worried about her too....

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:38 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Can I ask when was she wormed last?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:31 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

None of mine are eating a lot at the moment, nor are they laying. As long as she is looking and acting healthy I wouldn't worry too much.