Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Weeping eye

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weeping eye
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:13 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Guys
First of all I would like to say thank you for having me here.
I have a problem with my Isa Brown she has a weepy eye and bubbly discharge coming from her right eye she also has black coloured scabs as seen in the pic there also on her comb. I bath her every morning with warm salty water and have segregated her from the rest of the flock but now I don't know what to do! Any thoughts as to what it might be?

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 410.41 KiB | Viewed 362 times ]

Post subject: Re: Weeping eye
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:42 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

My first thoughts regarding the scabs are that your hen has contracted fowl pox. I'm not sure about the bubbly eye but have seen this when birds are under stress. Supportive care as you are giving at the moment should see her through it unless the daily eye bathing and being separated from flock mates is further stressing her? Keep an eye on the others. Have you noticed mosquitoes around? Taking steps to eliminate nearby breeding sites, as far as is practicable, is advisable.

Let us know how you get on.

Post subject: Re: Weeping eye
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:48 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Smorgon and welcome
Reinforcing what Cackles said.

You are doing exactly the right things. She looks to have a respiratory 'thing' going on (weepy eye) Often it is viral - chooks do get colds and with TLC they run their course Sometimes they progress to a bacterial infection and need to be treated with vet prescribed antibiotics. Watch her for any swelling, nasal discharge, congested sounding breathing or 'smells. In the meantime, keep her seperated, feed her a good quality layer pellet or mash diet and add some avian vitamins to her drinking water for a few days.
The scabs on her comb look like Fowl Pox - carried by mosquitos. They will also run their course and should give her future immunity. You can help them to dry up with some Betadine.