Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chook foot bath

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chook foot bath
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:28 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have about 100 hens & they are all coming down with leg mite. I will clean the shed tomorrow out but I need to get rid of the mites on the birds. We are working towards a certified organic flock & it really is impractical to handle each hen too often so I am thinking about having a foot bath that the chooks will have to go through every day to leave the shed. Has anyone tried something like this? I was thinking of a tunnel design so they can't just fly out past the bath. I am considering putting eucalyptus or other essential oils in the water with a thick layer of a vegetable oil on top. Has anyone used the eucalyptus pressurised spray can you can get from the supermarket to treat leg mite?

Thank you for your constructive comments.

Post subject: Re: Chook foot bath
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:01 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Sounds like a good plan. A couple of things to consider though.
Eucalyptus oil is toxic to birds, there have been cases on here where people have painted their birds legs with 100% eucalyptus oil and the birds have died. There might be a dilution rate where it is safe, but no one knows what it is. Do a search for eucalyptus oil in the Good Samaritan Centre and a few threads will come up.
The other thing is that scaley leg mites live on other parts of the birds body, so quite often treating only the legs doesn't get rid of the mite, that's why the mectins or dectins, spot on or oral are the preferred treatment.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:16 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I suggest no more than 1%

The compounds in the Euc. Oil will be similar to Tea Tree Oil and there is a thread in the A-Z on Tea Tree with info I compiled

Using 100% of Eucalyptus or Tea Tree oils would be a misuse of product. It's not that the oils are more toxic than anything else, you would have exactly the same issue if you used straight moxidectin.

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:42 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The old time method of leg treatment was oil impregnated sand which the chooks would have to walk thru (the oil used was probably used sump oil :ncmnt).
Scaley leg will be very hard to eradicate on a large scale without resorting to the 'hard stuff'. As Squeaker said, it can also affect other parts of the body.
The eucylyptus aerosols may contain hydrocarbons. You might be better (and more economical) to use a permethrin liquid and a pressure washer for the pen.
I avoid chemicals in the pens as I have a huge spider population. They (and the cobwebs) seem to keep some things under control so long as the balance stays right.
Organic Certification does allow the use of some mainstream products as there is also an implicit animal welfare responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:00 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for all the great advice.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:01 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Any advice on the use of neem oil for the treatment of SLM?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:23 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I would be cautious of any of the 'oils' in a regular walk thru as the feathers will also uptake the solution and the chooks will ingest it when they preen.