Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - sick chooks :(

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sick chooks :(
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:55 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

ok - so couldn't remember where to post but found it! here!

Hey peeps, it's been way too long since I last logged on. I've got a sick chook and lost 2 others in the last week... needing some help pretty please.

I had one chook last week that I was sure I'd not seen, couldn't find her or any sign of her but then found her hidden in a garden passed away. No idea why and I couldn't get to her where she was so had to send in one of the kids to collect her but she went straight in a bag and in to the bin as by then she fairly stunk and he was gagging :(

But then the next day noticed another looking poorly. by the next morning she was really not looking great and tried to pop her away from the flock so she could rest a bit as some were picking on her... by lunch time they'd plucked virtually all her back and she was not well so we took her to the vet and had her euthanized (I'm too 'city' to handle that myself... I also have an ASD son who was devastated by all this so it was more appropriate to go have her put to sleep 'kindly' for him as well).

I'm home from work today and just went out to do all their food, water and egg collection rather than in the morning rush only to find another - one of my top girls of the flock standing in a shady spot with her head tucked around and she was sleeping. The kids had commented this morning when they ducked out to say good morning that they'd actually managed to catch her for a cuddle (she's not normally up for that but I didn't think anything of it... just a lucky catch on their part). But she's really not good... She's currently sleeping in a washing basket on my dining table. I notice she has a few spots on her comb and around her cheeks. Some that have been bleeding and one or two developing that are coming to what looks yellow in them - maybe like a pimple? She's not interested in the slightest in food (VERY unusual for her).

Where do I even start? I don't want this right through my flock :( I was prepared for a round of fowl pox after the recent floods in our area (Jimboomba, QLD - south of Bris) with the plague of mozzies terrorising us... but it doesn't seem like that's what it is from the last time I had chooks (years ago at another house) when we had a round of that go through.

Have also seen her do a poop that I got a pic of... it was quite runny.

Post subject: Re: sick chooks :(
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Bec, 3 in such a short space of time is more than a co incidence.

Can you please click on the link below and copy and paste with your answers back here.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7955698

In the meantime have a good look for any thing environmental as a result of your recent weather - mould, stagnant water, contaminated runoff, carcasses etc,
Did the vet give any idea of what was wrong with no 2?