Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - short-term chickens/ducks??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:32 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I bought several ducklings and chicks at Tractor Supply a few months ago. I have had bad experiences with Broilers so I always try to make sure they don't sell me any Broilers or genetically enhanced birds. Besides, I mostly want them for eggs, not for meat.
Anyway, these babies grew well and fast but now they are starting to first limp, then can't walk at all, then I find them dead. What is going on? Do I need to butcher them once they start showing signs of limping? And if so, are they ok to eat?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:22 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

We really need much more information before we could try to answer your questions or attempt a diagnosis. There are a range of possibilities for the disease process you have described. As several birds have been affected in the same way, there is definitely something more than co incidence happening. Lets try to find out why this is happening and prevent it from recurring before we decide if you should euthanize them and whether you can eat them.
Please can you click on the link below and copy and paste your answers back to this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7955698

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:18 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

....in the mean while, I called Tractors Supply to complain that the chicks/ducklings i bought from them don't have a very good life expectancy, so I asked for the manager to express my complaint.
This gentleman proceeded to tell me that they are probably just vitamin depleted and advise me to start giving them Nutri Drench. I didn't find NutriDrench for chickens but I found a similar product which you put in their drinking water.
SO here we are, 3 days later, my dying duck made a full recovery and I am now putting vitamins in ALL their water. I am going to make this a monthly habit.

Thank you Mr. Manager.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:13 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I was going to say a vitamin or nutritional deficiency. That's the cause of a lot of issues with young ducks. Anything that starts with difficulty walking is very likely to be diet related.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:03 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Just to add.... Growing ducks eat a lot, do they need access to food 24/7. Basically you never want them to run out of food. And it's best to use a food made specially for ducklings - they have much higher nutritional needs than chickens do because they are growing so much faster.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:26 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Sometimes nutritional deficiency starts pre egg - ie if the parent stock were under nourished for breeding.
Especially if you do not know the history, it is important that all young birds have easy access to a suitable high quality diet. Sometimes even this may need to be supplemented.
Just rethinking the "are they OK to eat?" If there was a dietary deficiency, they wouldn't have had much meat on them and if their grower feed was medicated, not advisable to eat them anyway.
Glad you were able to save at least some of them.