Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Egg bound or not egg bound??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:04 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have a four year old chicken who is acting like she's egg bound. She lies around a lot but does get up periodically to free range with the other chickens. When she does lie down, her back end often moves up and down like she's trying to get an egg out. She does not appear to waddle and her tail feathers are pointed up as opposed to down. She's been on grower feed because we introduced a couple of pullets to the flock but I've always had shells available as a calcium supplement. Yesterday I soaked her in warm water and gave her calcium. Using surgical gloves, I lubricated the vent. I inserted my finger in the vent to try to feel for an egg but I was unable to feel anything (I went about two inches in). If she's not egg bound what else could it be? Or could she still be egg bound even if I was unable to feel anything? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi krisped and welcome to BYP

It does not sound as if she is egg bound. You are right - she does not really display the typical symptoms. Most hens are not laying atm. (The commercial hybrids are the main exception).
What breed is your hen?
Was she laying any strange eggs prior to this?
Is there any discharge/unpleasant smells from her vent?
Is she re feathering after a moult?
What is her appetite/general body condition like?
Has she been recently wormed? With what product?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:34 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thelma is a Red Star. I did not notice an unusual eggs. I have not noticed any unpleasant odor or discharge from her vent. She did have a poopy bottom; I trimmed her feathers back there to keep her clean. She molted in the winter with no problems. She looks very healthy and appears to have a normal appetite. She has not been recently wormed.
Hope this helps! Thanks for your response and concern!!
Kristen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:54 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

OK thanks

Red Star, so I guess you are in the US (our Winter is just beginning in Australia)
Red Star is a commercial sex linked hybrid layer. Like other commercial lines they are bred to be 'egg machines' for the first few laying seasons. After that they literally run out of eggs and their bodies are prematurely aged. Hopefully she is just taking a break and may pick up as the weather warms up and the days become longer. She may even begin to lay (but less frequently). Her eggs may become large or soft shelled so keep an eye on her for signs of laying disorders. Sometimes poopy butts can indicate a worm burden and that will also lead to anaemia and lethargy. I would worm your whole flock. Grower feed will have given her a good protein boost so was ideal for her. She does sound other wise healthy but may be going into retirement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:23 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for all of your help and input. Well, I don't mind her retiring...early retirement doesn't sound so bad :) I just hope she's not in pain. I guess the only thing that I'm worried about is that her back end continues to move up and down when she's lying down. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:16 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi there , I am a newbie here and need some advice please. I have a Blue araucana about 7 months old who has recently started to lay. She laid 6 days in a row then nothing for 4 weeks and now she has started to lay again, My problem is she makes the loudest noises as she struts about for a few hours before she lays, is that normal my two other layers dont, I hope she is not egg bound Im not sure what that is but have read up on it, thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:20 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi dizzy Di and welcome to BYP

Your girl is perfectly normal. Think teenage girl - early puberty is very unpredictable and they are the most important person on the block and need every one to know that.
Some hens settle down and don't need to announce every potential egg. Others always need to tell the world that they are laying and ready to reproduce.

Egg binding (and occasional strange eggs) sometimes happens in young birds as their system adjusts to laying but is more likely to occur in an older hen as her system ages.

BTW - love my Araucanas