Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sick Wyandotte - when | if to euthanase

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:38 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

My Splash bantam Wyandotte 8 mths old, dear Ethel, has been pooping green goo for about 4 months, (edit 17.06.17 : At times and more so last 24hrs) lethargic fluffed up and eyes closing (mainly right eye closing) and losing weight.

She eats energetically in "spurts" but then is totally disinterested and is losing weight rapidly.

Wormed and on Barastoc Championship pellets, and morning mashes for added protein while moulting (Alina's 5 spice mix - garlic mustard fenugreek ginger garlic and aniseed with either cat food or oats or egg with the pellets in hot water).

Ethel has been to the vet for a week on antibiotics (Baytril) while we were away then again two weeks later on Baytril plus antifungal for a crop that seemed to be getting impacted, some massaging with oil and garlic via droppers and still unwell.

Her sister Bella appears to have liver damage (pale yellow face, almost black faeces and also losing weight). All the other 9 birds in the flock are fine (different breeds from different breeders though)

So I am wondering if it is a breeder issue that they both appear to have a congenital digestive defect?

I have isolated them and provided un inhibited access to food however it is not making a difference and the vet has no further ideas.

My concern is: Should I presume the Splash girl is in pain from her posture and closed eyes and if so, do the kind thing.

Trying to understand if a bird is in pain is for me one of the biggest challenges and heartaches of chook keeping. No one wants their birds to suffer, but how to know when to keep going with care and when to accept that demise is imminent. So hard to know and so difficult to make the call

I had a Polish with a wry neck euthanased a few years ago only to learn soon after that the simple solution of Vit B might have saved her so am understandably cautious.

I am really wondering how anyone makes this decision?

Last edited by TookTook on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:13 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

A few things I would consider;

pain response;

Trying to escape,
Distress cries,
Guarding wounded body parts,
Passive immobility

Quality of life;

Excellent - no outward difference to rest of flock
Good - positive response to treatment
Poor - hunched/unresponsive

Triage;

Will recover despite intervention,
Will recover if intervention is undertaken,
Will not recover despite intervention,

Likelihood of recovery;

Sought veterinary advise and received medical attention,
Sought second opinion,
No change in condition despite medical intervention,

I would still wait for a second opinion.

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:11 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Great advice from Milo

I tend to procrastinate when I shouldn't but some thinking I went thru when a close rel. ended her life.

What did she have to look forward for? Was the next day/week going to be better.
Did she wake up each morning waiting for the day to end so she could hide in sleep again?
Would she regret her action once she was gone?
Was it selfish of me to wish she hadn't done it?

It has enabled me to put myself in another creatures shoes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:26 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

If you pick a bird up that is just skin and bone, it's hunched up and clearly not getting better, then you need to do the humane thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:58 am 
Great Game
Great Game

TookTook...... it might be an idea to get your vet to check for this organism viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8019727

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:37 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Milo wrote:
I would still wait for a second opinion.

Thanks Milo - that lays out the different scenarios well. Until yesterday Eth has had good periods in between the "quiet - eye-closing lethargy" of dust-bathing, donking impertinent youngsters on the comb when between her and a treat and doing the happy flap the wings chicken "jump" thing.

sue55 wrote:
Great advice from Milo

I tend to procrastinate when I shouldn't but some thinking I went thru when a close rel. ended her life....It has enabled me to put myself in another creatures shoes.

Agree. I have been thinking a lot about what our animals teach us about our own lives and attitudes about grief in particular. For me I realise part of the sadness I feel (apart from the selfishness of not having the loved one in my life anymore) is the outrage that my care is not sufficient to save them - why is my love and care not enough?? It SHOULD be (*ironic smile for which there is no emoticon dammit)
andrewschooks wrote:
If you pick a bird up that is just skin and bone, it's hunched up and clearly not getting better, then you need to do the humane thing.

Yes - part of me agrees with that but another part says "while there is life there is hope". I waver. Acceptance is difficult while she still seems to have a quality of life - ie up until today.

Squeaker wrote:
TookTook...... it might be an idea to get your vet to check for this organism viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8019727

Thank you Squeaker! I will do that.

Thank you all for making the time to offer your thoughts. I truly appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:00 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Ethel passed at the vet's with gas and needle.
Autopsy showed nothing significant.