Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How long should new hens be quarantined for

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:54 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi again,
I am getting some new pullets in August. They will be 12 weeks of age and was advised to have them separate from my other flock for 12 months. My other flock ranges from 1.5 - 3 years of age and the Rooster is 9months old. I thought it was a long time however realize they need to build up their immunity. They are coming from interstate. thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

12 months seems to be a rather unrealistic over kill unless you are practising strict general bio security. I think that for most of the common diseases immunity should be developed by about 20 weeks or POL if it is going to happen at all.
Some of the things like viruses which constantly mutate, there is no real immunity. The 'bacterials' are opportunistic and tend to primarily affect birds which are otherwise compromised. Your best defence is good general management and even then there will be some inevitable health problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:27 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Quarantine for 6 weeks, although some only wait 2-4 weeks. The longer the better though, you can never be too careful where biosecurity is concerned (eg: I don't bring in live birds at all).

Keeping them separate for 12 months doesn't seem practical.

I'd be thinking that it might have to do with their ages? As some flocks can be difficult when you try to integrate younger birds. Once the quarantine period is over, you can keep them in a pen along side of your current one, so the birds can get familiar with them whilst not being able to touch them. Then eventually you bring them together, usually once their sizes are the same or the young birds are more able to defend themselves. Some integrate at night, but I've found if I let them all out to free range then let my young ones out at the same time, they all seem to ignore each other or just accept that they are there.

Anyway, waffling. To me 12 months quarantine sounds extreme, so I'd be interested to know their reasoning behind it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:25 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you for replying. I think it is do with the ages of my hens as he doesn't believe in introducing young birds into an older flock.
They will see each other but not able to mingle so I guess that wouldn't be considered as a strict quarantine? thank you