Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Scaly Leg Mites

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scaly Leg Mites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:57 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thank so much everyone. I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:41 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I'm in a similar situation as I picked up a pair of birds at an auction recently only to get them home and find a severe infestation on both. I've been treating them for just over a week and they are looking so much better but this will be a long recovery for them as it was so severe there was deformities. I'm a touch annoyed with myself for not spotting it at the auction (feathered feet, crowds and a low cage did hamper me a bit) but I'm happy that I've gotten the opportunity to make their lives better. They are just the sweetest two birds I've gotten to work with.

Thanks for all the tips, tricks and updates.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:58 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yeah we're kicking ourselves for not noticing also! They definitely look a bit more lively. It's been 48 hours so I inspected the rooster. He's still riddled with lice. I thought they should have been killed quite quickly?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:58 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I remembered Danny B an avian vet on here saying spot on's were not that reliable on birds, hope they work for you.

Managed to find the thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8032193

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:25 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I'd dust them with Pestene as well. On the back, under the wings and around the vent.

The spot-on should still kill the leg mites.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:22 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ah really? That sucks! Can I dose it orally with a syringe to the birds?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:00 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

No. The spot on has a different carrier to the oral formulation. They can't be interchanged. Best to order some Moxidectin Plus from the Knox Bird Clinic or Gecko Dan (the chook shop). The Plus part (praziquantel) will also treat for tapeworm. Both post promptly.

Did you read thru the thread that Squeaker recomended? Some good info on there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:35 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Sue,

Thanks for that. I did read through the entire thread. I'm looking for Moxidectin Plus now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:00 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

If you are struggling to find it go to a stock or rural supplies store and get a tube of E-mox pro broad spectrum horse wormer. If they don't have it you could substitute equitak excel. If they ask, you have a horse but don't let them sell you other de-wormers.

Dosage is a pea sized blob on the tongue. You may find it easier to use a smaller syringe than the one it comes in (get a 3ml medicine syringe from a chemist) or apply it with a pop stick.

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:02 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks, Milo. I've ordered some moxidectin plus from gecko Dan. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:28 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Another option is Equest Plus Tape (horses) Moxidectin 20mg/ml, Praziquantel 125mg/ml.
I worked out the dilution as 5g/10 lt water/24 hrs but it is too hard to dissolve. Milo how does this compare to the Emox for single dose please? I still have some to use up. I tried to buy some gem scales on line to weigh individual doses. (now I think Big Bro is watching me)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:49 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Cydectin Plus Tape is another option that is probably easier to find in stores. It has the same amounts as the Moxi Plus available from Geckdoan (Moxidectin 1mg/L & Praziquantel 18.8mg/mL). https://www.virbac.com.au/home/livestoc ... -tape.html It doesn't come in small amounts though.

I found Geckodan to deliver quickly, so hopefully it won't be long before you've got it.

I personally prefer to dose direct to beak rather than in the water, just to I know they all have the right amount, but it is more convenient to dose their water supply.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:56 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

sue55 wrote:
Another option is Equest Plus Tape (horses) Moxidectin 20mg/ml, Praziquantel 125mg/ml.
I worked out the dilution as 5g/10 lt water/24 hrs but it is too hard to dissolve. Milo how does this compare to the Emox for single dose please? I still have some to use up. I tried to buy some gem scales on line to weigh individual doses. (now I think Big Bro is watching me)

Equest 0.04 mls for a 4 kg bird so just a dab. best using a one ml syringe but it will be harder to load and dispense. The amount of praziquantel will be around one third of the recommended dose. If you are targeting tape worms then use a different product.

E-mox 0.1 ml

Equitak excel 0.2 ml

There is a good safety margin for the moxidectin and the praziquantel and if you use the other products the oxfendazole is 'practically non-toxic' so don't be too concerned about volume delivered just don't go overboard, less is better for the product with the higher strength.

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:30 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks Milo - back to plan B, no drug/gem scales, Equest to a Horsy friend and stick to the Moxi +.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:26 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Well the Moxi Plus is ordered and paid for. Hopefully it arrives in a couple of days as the Ivermectin had absolutely no effect on the lice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next