Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Day old chick that cant walk (with video)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:25 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

We had some chicks hatch yesterday (from our own hens & roo, in an incubator loaned form a friend). All are looking well and healthy and hatched under their own steam except three quitters, so we're quite pleased, but one chick just cant seem to master walking. It lies or sits on its rump and belly and flaps its legs and wings madly in an attempt to move about with the others but doesnt acheive much other than accidentally flipping itself over sometimes. I wasnt sure if it might be a vitamin deficiency, so I've tried to give it some chick mulitvitamin liquid from a dropper, but being a new hatchling, he/she isnt really interested in food yet, so wont take much. I tried tape between the legs as for spraddle leg but it didnt help at all, in fact it just seemed to make him more distressed. His legs are a little wide but the problem seems to be more that he just cant get them underneath him! i took a video and will try to attatch it if I can figure out how...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:11 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Vitamins are worth a try. Put some in the water for a couple of days and try dipping it's beak in from time to time. atm it doesn't really need to drink but this may help. Sometimes a chick will have a really fat belly (still full of yolk) and as this shrinks they begin to walk. It is still very young so may 'grow out of it' Otherwise there is not much else that you can do. It may be a deformity which can't be fixed, in which case you should euthanize it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:19 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Good to know. We'll give it a couple of days and see what happens. I dread making the call to euthanise if it doesnt improve!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:37 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

If it's moving like I think it is, then it could be a slipped tendon. I had one from some eggs I bought in, at first I was hoping it was just a little uncoordinated, but the slipped tendon become obvious. There is a technique you can try where you very briefly grab/pinch the chick by the top of its butt and lift it up, this will cause it to make an automatic running movement why its legs, and in theory help it's brain coordinate with its legs. It won't do anything for a slipped tendon though.