Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Really need help :-(

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Really need help :-(
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:47 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi I've been keeping chickens for a year now and the last couple of months I've been really struggling with sick chickens. I think it all started back when I got a polish hen from a lady off Gumtree. After having the polish hen for a couple of weeks I noticed sneezing and shaking of her head and quickly got on google and done some research and found out its most probably a RESPIRATORY DISEASE. I treated all of the flock (7 Hens 1 Rooster) with SULFA 3 I followed the directions the lady at my local feed store gave me and it didn't seem to do anything I tried some garlic in the water for a couple of days nothing was helping the Polish Hen she ended up dying. All the other chickens seemed fine not sneezing or any other symptoms up until the start of this week. The Rooster and 3 of the Hens are all sneezing and shaking their heads Everything I have read about RESPIRATORY DISEASE is that its extremely hard to come back from and that they will never be *CURED* they will always be CARRIERS of the DISEASE.

So anyways what is my next step?
Can I get an antibiotic without going to a vet?
Should I cull the whole lot and disinfect and start again?

Thanks for reading.

Post subject: Re: Really need help :-(
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:46 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Quick answer
Yes they can recover.
No they won't necessarily be carriers - depends on disease.
Don't waste your money on OTC antibiotics - the only ones who benefit are the sellers. The reason that they are now OTC is that most bacteria is now resistant to them.
You need to see a vet if possible and get the appropriate prescription antibiotics. (make some phone calls and find a vet who 'does chooks')

please click on the link below and cut and paste your answers back here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7955698

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:05 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

OK I'm back and welcome to BYP

Respiratory illnesses are common in poultry. As common as the common cold, as easily spread and more likely to appear during stress - eg new home/pen mates etc. If it stays viral the chook will most likely recover. Some TLC - isolation, kept warm, good diet and additional vitamins will probably support recovery and might reduce the spread. If it is viral antibiotics will not help.
The problems arise if the illness is, or becomes, bacterial. Occasionally an otherwise healthy bird will recover without help but most will continue to become more ill unless they are properly treated.
The reality is that the antibiotics which are available in Australia without a prescription are the early generation type. Most bacteria has mutated to now be resistant to them - hence the recommendation to see a vet - note that some vets prefer not to treat backyard poultry. Their avian training is focused on flock (commercial) management, ie if it is not well cull it (and/or the whole flock).
If possible, the best practice when acquiring new birds is to quarantine them for some time before exposing them to an existing flock. 2 weeks is adequate for most common respiratory ailments to appear. I use this time to get in 2 doses of wormer and to treat for external parasites. Because I generally have excess birds, I will pen a newcomer with a 'sacrificial companion'. The advantage of this is that it not only 'tests' the newbie, it may also expose them to a low dose challenge to anything that my flock may be carrying. It also sets them up with a friend which makes introduction to the general flock less stressful.
Other conditions have a longer incubation period and there are some which won't present although the bird may always be a carrier. That is always the calculated risk and some quarantine for up to 6 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:02 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks so much for your replies Sue I'll will try bring them back to good health with some extra care.