Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hen Lethargic with Respitory Issues and Darkened Comb

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:42 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Breed:Rhode Island Red
Sex:Female

She earlier this month was showing signs of respitory issues such as a small cough or sneeze. We thought it was just dirt. This past Tuesday those signs continued so we went ahead and decided to begin giving her Tetracyclin as a precaution. We are now a week from initiating the Tetracyclin and she may show some small improvement when it comes to the cough/sneeze/gurgling but she is now very lethargic (not wanting to leave the coop and sitting still alot). She doesnt seem to be eating and food but will get excited and will eat treats. She shows NO signs of swelling around her face but her comb and wattle are dark red. We noticed this color change because her sister of the same breed and age has a normal bright red comb/wattle.

She earlier this month had time outside the coop to free range and in the coop is recieving layer pellets.

Her droppings appear to be watery occasionaly greenish white

She doesnt seem to be as bad with the respitory issues of the gurgling as she was last week but still occasionaly with sneeze and appears to have laboured breathing when sitting.

Her feathers appear to be drooping and as mentioned above her come and wattle are dark red. As far as her weight she seems to be larger than her sister and doesnt appear to have lost any weight.

She again is on tetracyclin now for a week and yesterday i put some Vetrx on her nostrils.

Attached is a picture taken of her yesterday. You can see her ruffled feathers and darker comb and wattle.

Attachments:
Bianca.jpg
Bianca.jpg [ 2.08 MiB | Viewed 800 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:25 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Morningside Manor and welcome to BYP
From the pic your hen doesn't look particularly unwell. Eyes bright, comb erect and no indication of anaemia, feathers in good condition. Your description suggests that she may have had a viral respiratory rather than something bacterial. Antibiotics are only of use for 'bacterials', the viruses (think common cold) generally get better with time. The otc antibiotics such as Tetracycline are rarely of any use any more. Their over use in the past has resulted in most bacteria now being resistant. They are only of value to the vendor. If the respiratory symptoms do not improve consider a vet visit - she may need prescription antibiotics.
The watery/greenish droppings indicate that she is not processing much food. The white bit is OK.

A couple of things to check
Is her crop full in the evening and empty in the morning?
Does her breath smell (other than chooky)?
Is her butt clean?
Is she laying?
Has she been wormed recently?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:21 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Her crop doesn't appear to be full at night.
Her breath smells fine.
Her but is not clean. Since she has had diarrhea it's dirty.
Since she moulted last fall she never has laid eggs again.
She has not been wormed lately.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:22 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Have a look in her mouth and throat for any white plaques.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:07 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

She wouldn't really let me look in her mouth so couldn't get a great look. Her abdomen though seems really bloated and hard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

First guess
Have a look here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8020750

and some more info on Ascites here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7955021

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:47 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Do you think the ascicities could be caused by a fertility thing since she never started laying eggs again? Also reading more into all the chicken diseases has me scared about avian flu.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:53 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It is possible that Ascites and a reproductive dysfunction are linked - which came first, the Ascites or the egg would be a guess. I think that your best course of action now would be to try to tempt her to eat and drink, keep her comfortable and be prepared to euthanize her if her condition deteriorates.
I had one Sussex who stayed otherwise happy and healthy (but was eating) for more than 12 months. Her water retention fluctuated. Eventually I believe that she had a heart attack - I found her dead in her pen one morning.
A vet may be able to help but generally there are other related problems and the prognosis is not good.

It is easy to over react to the threat of Avian Flue - don't.
There are only a couple of strains which are a threat to humans (specifically H5N1 and H7N9). If they were to strike again out of Asia it would be all over the media.
Practise good husbandry with your birds and good hygiene after handling them and enjoy them safely.

Don't stress about chicken diseases - they probably get less than we do as we control their lifestyles better than our own.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:31 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

So just an update. I finished all the tetracylin that I had left so today is the first day without them... Decided to put some apple cider vinegar in with her water today. Beginning yesterday and into today she is now eating her pellets so that is positive but she still has the wheezing noise when breathing.