Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Skinny lethargic hen bouts of enthusiastic eating

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:07 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I am mystified by my 18 mth old bantam BLRW Ethel.

She has been on and off lethargic since March and had three vet visits with different antibiotics tried. She is underweight - quite thin in fact and stands or sits around for long periods with her eyes closed and tail down. Then opens one or both eyes and vocalises.

She has been wormed with Avitrol two months ago and has a slightly pooey bum but not major.

Her comb and wattles are a healthy red but she has not laid now since February.

She does not appear to have mites.

She has no abdominal swelling (eg indicating EYP or tumours which we have lost other birds to in the past)

When food is offerred she eats enthusiastically in short bursts - especially grains greens (and mealworms of course). She goes to roost at night with a full crop but is showing signs of weakness in trying to get onto her perch.

Her poos look normal.

We have nine other birds all in good health, including another BLRW bantam from the same breeder.

There have been no changes in the environment.

Any ideas appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:45 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Hmm still points to worms to me, i have had some parents even wormed with moxi still seem wormy in symptoms. Some were to the point of :aaargh: i am going to lose them, a dose of panacur 2.5 and they come good.some times you still need to try a few wormers to get the worms out of their system. Only a couple guess as may be something more serious, what did the vets say. Another thing i have tried which really seems to pick up some birds is aloevera water , great for underlying liver problems.amazing stuff some times, a bird sitting there fluffed up on deaths door 3 weeks later looks like it s never been sick : :thumbs: .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:35 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Has the vet done a poop culture?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:57 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

mycoola wrote:
Hmm still points to worms to me, i have had some parents even wormed with moxi still seem wormy in symptoms. Some were to the point of :aaargh: i am going to lose them, a dose of panacur 2.5 and they come good.some times you still need to try a few wormers to get the worms out of their system. Only a couple guess as may be something more serious, what did the vets say. Another thing i have tried which really seems to pick up some birds is aloevera water , great for underlying liver problems.amazing stuff some times, a bird sitting there fluffed up on deaths door 3 weeks later looks like it s never been sick : :thumbs: .

Mycoola - I have not heard of Panacur 2.5..is this something readily available ? I did dose her with Moxidectin Plus 2 the day I posted as I was also leery that the Avitrol had not worked, but no long term change (she did seem to perk up briefly). Vets have no idea what is going on. She spent one week getting anti-biotics and crop feeding in March at the vets' when we had to go away for a week so they had plenty of time to observe (or so I would have thought!?)

Sue55 I am struggling to recall back to March when she first went to the vet re whether they did do a poop culture - will ring and see what they have on record first thing tomorrow.

Having observed her very closely (she has been living in our house in the cat carrier and ""roaming" a few metres around it) these last 3 days, I am suspecting something insidious and pain causing as she seem to eat in short bursts of enthusiasm and then lapses into lethargy with her eyes closed, becoming very still with wings and tail drooping down. Then she will move around almost normally for awhile before lapsing again and standing or sitting with her head dropping as if falling asleep.

This suggests to me a bird in bouts of pain.

I'm afraid I did the unthinkable and gave her a small dose of soluble Panadol Rapid diluted in water (about 1ml) and she then went and had a dust bath which cheered me (and probably her too).

But then she lapsed again into virtual immobility and hid amongst the flowerpots outside her head facing away from the light She did eat grain and mealies when placed in front of her and she drank - again she does this in energetic spurts between the bouts of lethargy - unlike any chicken un-wellness I have experienced previously. Baffling.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:00 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Panacur 25

Active is fenbendazole which is in the benzamidazole group.

Wormout (active oxfendazole) is in the same group, has the same mode of action.

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:58 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Milo wrote:
Panacur 25

Active is fenbendazole which is in the benzamidazole group.

Wormout (active oxfendazole) is in the same group, has the same mode of action.

Thanks Milo - Wormout I can get easily.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:41 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

sue55 wrote:
Has the vet done a poop culture?

Sue55 I rang the vet Saturday morning and they hadn't put a poop swab on her record but had noted I used the Molodri.

Wormed Ethel lunchtime Saturday with Wormout. This is the 4th worming treatment I have tried. I started with Molodri for all the girls back in February which seemed to be working for them all quite well (and still seems to be for the rest).

Then gave her Avitrol Plus (tablet form by beak) 2 months ago then Moxi-Dectin a week or so ago and finally the Wormout 3 days ago.

She stopped eating as enthusiastically in the following 24hrs after the Wormout (co-incidental I imagine, not causal) and today has barely eaten at all.

She has one eye closed almost permanently and pooed out an odd blue looking poo after eating 5 blueberries this morning -as if they had not digested properly in her system.

I was on hold to the vet for an appointment with the gas/needle as I thought she might be in pain having her eyes closed but then she climbed onto my lap and up onto my shoulder and started preening so I cancelled the call, figuring a bird in pain wouldn't do that. However as she will starve to death if she doesn't start eating again tomorrow I will have to take her to the vet in any case I guess.

She sat around most of the afternoon on a perch I set up for her on some bales of mulch (sadly my skills at being a human chook-perch are limited when there are chores to be done) with her eyes closed, vocalising occasionally and looking around but generally very very low energy.

She ate 5 teaspoons of oats and maybe 2 teaspoons of some weed greens tonight (I tried grass as I know dogs eat it when unwell and Goose-grass as it supposedly has some medicinal potential).

Basically I feed her anything she will eat, which changes. Previously she was wolfing parsley down. The neighbours who had been caring for the flock while we were away for 3 weeks apparently fed the girls parsley from their garden every day - and Ethel (and all the flock!) looked really well. But after the first week we were back she seemed to go downhill again so I figured I would keep it up in case it had been helping her somehow, as it was the only point of difference in the feeding regime apart from slightly old fruit they gave the girls also.

Now she turns her beak away at parsley. My theory that they might know what will help them feel better is taking a beating.

I am now suspecting something congenital and un-treatable: Lymphoid leukosis possibly.

She certainly has spirit and a strong constitution having fought whatever it is since March.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments Mycoola, Milo and Sue55.